10 Most Annoying Sayings

10 Most Annoying Sayings

Review of "10 Most Annoying Sayings"

published 14/01/2006 | helen666
Member since : 03/04/2005
Pro er...
Cons cliched, overused, or just plain annoying.

" Dial-A-Cliche (or two)"

Honorable mentions:
"Yeah?" / "Right?" at the end of every sentence.
"Sorted" (What do you call a chav in a filing cabinet? Sorted.)
"You've pulled babe." (Pulled what? A muscle? A pint?)
"No offence, but..." followed by something that causes offence.
"I have nothing against... but..." (ditto).
"Well fit / buff." (Is it supposed to be some sort of compliment?)
People saying "lol", "noob", etc. in real life (not on the internet).

and now it's on with the show...

10. Random

Nothing wrong with this word in its correct useage, but lately it has been overused by young people. A lot of teens use it in a way that seems synonymous with "loser" or "weirdo". They make it sound like an insult: "You're so random!"
It is often used when someone does something slightly out of the ordinary, like changing the subject or revealing they have an eclectic or unexpected taste in music, food, clothes, books, etc.
I've got a friend who really overuses it, both in real life and in MSN Messenger "conversations" (always guaranteed to have phrases like "lol random" or "lol so random" in there somwhere). Some people who overuse "random" also have a tendency to say internet phrases like "lol" in real life.

Examples:

"I'm bored just sitting around like this, let's go out somewhere."
"What? You're so random!"

"I listen to Radiohead and Pink Floyd a lot, but I admit that I also have a soft spot for Abba and Steps..."
"You like prog-rock AND cheese? That's just so random, dude."

9. I will always catch you when you fall.

Possibly the most cliched song lyric ever. Whenever I hear a boyband ballad on the radio, it is guaranteed to have this line in it somewhere. It's become so over-used now that it no longer means anything. It's just lazy song-writing. Maybe it meant something when it was first used in a song, but now everybody has said it and it just doesn't convey any emotion any more.
Along with all the other pop music cliches ("shake your ass/booty", "i need you, you're so beautiful", etc.), I could easily write a hit song in minutes and become a millionaire overnight, except I haven't yet found a group of 4-5 dyed-blond drama school dropouts / reality TV rejects who appeal enough to teenyboppers, to "sing" it.

8. Your mother!

Apologes to mothers everywhere, but sometimes the "your mother..." insults (the "your mother is so..." type) can actually be funny (e.g. in "The Nutty Professor" there were some good ones like "Your mother is so fat, when she dressed in yellow she got mistaken for a schoolbus!").
But nowadays "Your mother" on its own is just used as an insult or arguement-ender. People just say "your mother" when they can't think of anything else to say. That's lazy, why can't they think of something at least marginally witty or original to say? (And what has my mother got to do with it anyway?)

Example:

Person 1 (during heated argument with Person 2): "I hate you, I'd rather wipe a monkey's arse and watch daytime TV and be tortured by The Spice Girls than spend another minute with you. You have all the wit and personality of a squashed slug, and you're about as pretty as one too. You're so damn dirty, you make Slutty Sharon, The Bike Of Basildon, look like The Virgin Mary. You're dumber than an American teen movie and as easy as The Sun's sudoku!"
Person 2 (unable to think of a comeback): "Er... well... YOUR MOTHER!"

7. Innit!

Once upon a time, "innit?" was a phrase placed at the end of sentences to mean "isn't it?" (e.g. "Hey, that's Bob, innit?" or "The News is on TV at 7, innit?" or "A pint is £2 here, innt?"... you get the idea...)
Now it is just stuck at the end of every sentence for the hell of it, to show off how "street" (read: trendy) you are. Chavs, keen to show how "black" they are even though they're about as black as the KKK, are the worst offenders, especially when they're from middle-class backgrounds and have never actually met a single non-white person in their lives ("Wot, effnic minorities, innit? I fackin' 'ate effnics, dey iz all scrounging gypsy asylum seekers innit, me mam sez it's true cos The Daily Mail said so, innit. I iz so black, I is, innit true bruv. Wot do ya mean, blacks are effnic? I ain't no effnic, motherf*cker! Your mother!"). Ali G sent this up well, although I don't think a lot of people realised he was spoofing them, they probably thought he was one of them too.
"Innit" is becoming an obligatory statement to stick in sentences, rather than a question, and there is no need for it in the majority of sentences.

6. My, how you've GROWN since I last saw you!

Yes, ye olde catchphrase of visiting relatives. I normally respond with a blank look, a "who, me?" moment, or "But I haven't grown, I never noticed..."
I am also tempted to reply with, "Yes, of course I have grown, that is what young human beings do."
I can kind of understand people who visit when you're 16 and they haven't seen you since you were 1, although they ARE stating the obvious just a bit. But I get a little confused when people who last saw me a day or week ago say I have grown since I last saw them.

5. Get a life.

Like "Your mother!", "Get a life!" is used by people who really can't think of anything else to say.
Most people who use this phrase are incredibly patronising. Who do they think they are? Do THEY have lives? Do they think they're characters from an American sitcom or something? Why don't they stop watching so much 1990s American TV and get out and... get a life!

4. Whatever.

Ditto with "Get a life."

3. I'm not listening/I can't hear you, la la la la la.

Small children say this and put their fingers in their ears when they are having trouble winning arguments. Adults should not do it. It makes them look like five-year-olds again, and yet they think they're terribly clever and winning the arguement. They're not.

2. Talk to the hand 'cos the face don't wanna know.

Another Americanism (sorry Americans), another patronising phrase, another childish and immature phrase/act. It's also bloody rude. I probably sound like Lynne Truss here, but honestly, I find it rude to turn away from someone while they're talking to you and tell them to talk to your hand. It's a cowardly and rude way of telling someone to shut up.
No, I don't want to talk to your hand, I want to talk to you, stupid. Actually... come to think of it, your hand probably has more brains than your head, so yes, I will talk to your hand instead, thank you very much. (Of course, the person sticking their hand in your face won't hear this as they'll be too busy "la la la"-ing like a child - see number 3.)
If you want someone to shut up, why can't you either (a) be truthful and straightforward and tell them (gently, of course), or (b) just shut up yourself and put up with them and pretend to be paying attention, to be polite? They're what people used to do before the "Talk to the hand" thing became fashionable.

1. It's political correctness gone mad!

The most overused phrase ever used by the tabloid press, not to mention by the outraged letter writers in The Daily Mail (the type of letters that traditionally end with names like Disgusted of Derby, Sickened of Surrey, Appalled of Aylesbury, Outraged of Epsom, etc.).
Now that the BBC website has its "Have Your Say" section which members of the public use to comment on current news issues, and it is full of people whinging, "It's political correctness gone mad!" This phrase seems to be used in comments on just about every news story on there, even if it appears to have nothing to do with political correctness, mad or otherwise.

• greenierexyboy published 19/06/2008
    'I will always catch you when you fall.' I have genuinely caught someone when they fell, in the literal sense, and it sodding well ended up hurting me more than them. Moral of the story? Don't catch people when they fall: encourage them not to fall in the first place. And if they do...well, there's always the Darwin Awards.
  • alan74 published 05/12/2006
    I'm sitting at work, minding me own half asleep, check out Ciao for the 1st time in ages and see ya left me a comment, so I read one of yours, (this one) whilst in the Library! From the moment I start reading I burst out laughing! Felt like a right idiot, but thanks, brilliant! Alan.
  • Reposter78 published 10/09/2006
    A lot of them annoy me too xx

Product Information : 10 Most Annoying Sayings