10 best lines from songs

10 best lines from songs

Review of "10 best lines from songs"

published 26/03/2004 | treley
Member since : 14/08/2003
Pro Lyrics that are meaningful and relevant to everyone
Cons Some that stick in your head for too long!

"Meaningful, witty and just fun lyrics."

I added this category because there are some brilliant and witty song writers out there whose lines stick with you forever. I like lines that add extra meaning to songs, witty lines, or just plain memorable ones. My first choices were easy, but it got a little harder…

1. Blondie - Maria
“She walks like she don’t care, walkin’ on imported air”

This line sums up the whole feel of the song Maria; she is confident, seems to do the impossible and this drives men crazy. To me the use of the word “imported” implies that it is specific air for her. Even though people worship her, it is impossible to get close.

2. Crowded house - Don't dream it's over
“Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup”

Again this line sums up the whole song. The fact is that you can’t do it, there is simply too much deluge! This line gives me the idea of people just not trying hard enough to change the world.

3. Sarah McLachlan - Good Enough
“It's not the wind that's cracked your shoulder, and threw you to the ground”

Sarah McLachlan’s songs are all very subtle in their meaning, but powerful. She could just have easily written “I know he hits you” for this line, but the use of the word wind shows that what is happening is not considered natural.

4. Stereophonics – I wouldn’t believe your radio
“If I had a flying giraffe, I’d have it in a box with a window”

Stereophonics songs are often more in depth and cynical than you first read into them. This line has the cute and fluffy connotation of a mini giraffe with wings, but it is being trapped and only aloud to look out on the world, simply because someone wants to keep it.

5. The Corrs -Radio
“With a full glass and an empty heart, I search for something to occupy my mind”

This line alone conjures up the image that the song is about, loneliness. Despite the wine glass being full (I have always imagined it being red wine) everything else is dull and empty.

6. The Beautiful South - Rotterdam
“The whole place is pickled, the people are pickles for sure, and no-one knows if they've done more here, than they ever would do in a jar”

The Beautiful South have a way of cleverly using sarcasm against the world. Everyone is a pickle! Okay, no marks for imagery there, but 10 out of 10 for the witty way of commenting on the dullness of those people who are “blonde and Beautiful”.

7. Alanis Morissette - Flinch
“Soon I'll grow up and I won't even flinch at your name”

We’ve all been there. Loved and lost, and then for some reason have been really scared of ever hearing that persons name again let alone seeing them. This line is quite personal to me, thinking of the way I still react when someone talks about my ex… but soon I’ll grow out of it.

8. Velvet Underground - I’m Sticking with you
“I'm sticking with you, 'Cos I'm made out of glue”

Ok, no wittiness, not a particularly sound image, just plain silly! But definitely a line that will stick in your head, even if you have forgotten what the advert was for!

9. James – Sit Down
“Those who find themselves ridiculous, sit down next to me”

Again, not much imagery, (although sitting next to James wouldn’t be a bad thing to imagine.) but I do love the idea of being able to “find yourself ridiculous!”

10. R.E.M. - Nightswimming
“Every streetlight reveals the picture in reverse. Still, it's so much clearer.”

R.E.M. songs are full to the brim with meaningful lyrics, so it was hard to find my favorite as I could have filled my top ten with solely their songs. Nightswimming is probably my favorite R.E.M. song though, because of the imagery that the words and the music create together. The images all tangle together as if they were ripples on the water, each picture passing gives new meaning.

So those are my top ten Lines from songs. I’m sure that they will change when I hear something that I hadn’t thought of!

• jesi published 25/01/2006
    This sounds like a challenge for me . . . - .................................................................................................... ~ &#9829; ~ jes &#8776;&#8776;&#8776;&#8776;{; -)-{{::::: |||||< &#9829;&#9829;
  • MAFARRIMOND published 03/07/2004
    You wonder what some people are thinking when they write their lyrics. Maureen
  • gillsnewgroove published 15/04/2004
    Brilliant insights. I'll need to have a go at this myself. Gill x

Product Information : 10 best lines from songs