127 Hours (Blu-ray)

127 Hours (Blu-ray)

Review of "127 Hours (Blu-ray)"

published 01/02/2012 | Spottydog11
Member since : 07/09/2007
Reviews : 1977
Good
Pro Amazing scenery, an interesting story
Cons A bit boring
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Thank god the film didn't last 127 hours!!"

I just got around to seeing the film 127 hours. I had wanted to see it at the cinema but missed it and have only now finally gotten around to watching the blu ray that we recently bought. Well, I have to say I am glad I didn't see it in the cinema and sort of feel like I wasted my money on the blu ray. Don't get me wrong, the actual story behind this film is amazing and some parts were really cool but for the most part I found it really boring and actually switched it off half way through, only going back at a later date because I wanted to see how the gory bit would play out.

127 hours is the true story of canyon ever Aron Ralston who, in 2003 went hiking on his own in Utah and has his right arm trapped by a boulder is an isolated canyon.

The film starts out by showing us that he is quite an experienced canyon walker as he has been to this spot lots of times before and knows his way around. He also has all the right equipment with him and when he meets two girls on a hike he is able to show them to their trail and to an amazing plunge pool in one of the canyons. The scenery in the first part of this movie is amazing, absolutely stunning with beautiful canyons and rock formations and not another person in sight. I think the Blu ray high definition format really brings this scenery to life and its almost as if you are there yourself in the spectacular scenery. The images are so crisp and stunning and there really is no other way to watch this film than on a blu ray player.

When he leaves the girls we see the accident take place and his arm become trapped by this huge boulder. This was actually quite a good couple of scenes as we see him come to the realisation that he could be stuck here forever and that this will pretty much be his final resting place on this earth. It must be quite a horrible, intense feeling to realise this and I think James Franco, the actor who played Aron portrayed this well. However, shortly after this my husband pretty much summed up the rest of my feelings on the movie by saying, "how are they going to stretch this out for the next hour and a half then?" Well, this was achieved by the viewer watching Aron become more and more delusional as hunger, fatigue and lack of water starts to hit and you see him hallucinate,, dreaming of things that happened in the past and also having glimpses into his future. This is where it got a bit too mind trippy for me and although this really did happen in real life as they followed the video blog of the real Aron quite closely I think I would have preferred to see more of the practical side of the story but still.

So, I eventually got to the end, I won't spoil it for you but given that Aron wrote the book on his experience that this movie is based on it sort of tells you what became of him. There are some quite gruesome bits where you see how the end comes about. All in all I thought this film was so so but Danny Boyle (The Director) fans will probably love it.

Extras on this blu ray include:

Audio commentary
Deleted scenes
127 Hours: Movie Special
Search and Rescue featurette
127 Hours: An Extraordinary View

• catsholiday published 02/02/2012
    I can't say I'd watch it again but was surprised at how good it actually was
  • kiss_me2070 published 02/02/2012
    I have to agree, the scenery is beautiful, how-ever the film itself is boring.
  • RosesAreRed1207 published 01/02/2012
    I found this film so boring x

Product Information : 127 Hours (Blu-ray)

James Franco stars in director Danny Boyle's inspiring survival drama based on the incredible true story of Aron Ralston, who became trapped alone in a Utah canyon for days after slipping on a loose rock, and resorted to extraordinary measures in order to make it out of his dire predicament alive. An experienced hiker and climber, Ralston played by Franco is very much in his element when he parks his truck by a mountain near Moab, Utah, hops on his bike, and peddles to the middle of nowhere. Later, when Ralston encounters a pair of young female hikers who have gotten lost while searching for a local landmark, he jovially shows them a sight that most casual hikers miss before bidding them farewell and continuing on his way. Drifting through the canyons alone, deep in thought, however, the explorer who presumed he was ready for anything quickly discovers just how fast things can spin out of control when a rock gives way as he shimmies down a crevice, and pins his hand to the unforgiving wall of stone. Over the course of the next 127 HOURS, Ralston tries everything he can think of to free himself, flashing back to small but memorable events in his life as well as forward to the future that he might enjoy should he manage to wiggle free, as his body begins the slow process of shutting down. Eventually realising that the only way out is to leave part of himself behind, the exhausted, delirious adventurer draws his cheap made-in-China multi-tool, and does what it takes to survive.

Listed on Ciao since: 31/03/2011