Review of "24: Season 1 (8 Discs)"

published 24/02/2012 | dbuk2000
Member since : 25/07/2008
Not sure why people comment just to say 'not for me' or 'will give this a miss'. Hardly contributing to the review or helping out future readers looking to purchase the item.
Pro Great acting and plot
Cons None
Look & Feel
Responsiveness
Robustness & durability
Range of Extra Features
Instruction manual

"He's got one day to save his family and protect his country. The"

What really got me into the American shows was 24, and with the seventh season coming to an end, I think it is time for me to start reviewing this epic show.

So why's it called 24? For those of you that don't know basically the show takes place in real time. We view one day of Jack Bauer's life split into 24 episodes. With each episode representing one hour of his day. It really is a unique format, however a show is only as great as its plot and acting and 24 pulls out all the stops here.

Keifer Sutherland is the main man here and although his dad Donald is the famous one, Keifer has really come to the limelight here. He has made Jack Bauer a legend and this is due to his excellent acting. I could spend time talking about the great acting from other actors and actresses, however it really is pointless as this show and specifically this season revolves around Jack.

The storyline is excellent and it is really hard to explain the plot without ruining anything and I really don't want to ruin anything for anyone looking to start this show. I will simply say that Jack Bauer is a family man who works for CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit) and within the first few minutes he is called into work and experiences the longest day of his life so far. 24 hours full of action packed thrill rides. Twists and turns at every corner. As soon as you are recovering from one twist, bang theres another and then your recovering again and theres another and so on. It really is non stop brilliance.

Of course a lot of it is realistic. No one can possibly go through all this in one day right. Well maybe, who knows, I don't. Ok it is unrealistic, but all shows are exagerated, and this show doesn't cross to far across the boundaries. It says a lot for this show that it is still going strong with an 8th season being confirmed and in fact most shows viewers decrease as the years go on, 24 is one of the only shows that viewers have increased season upon season so this is a very impressive stat.

WIth the boxset we get a lot of extra features, and interviews with the cast which is quite usual for these things. However what is pretty cool is that we also get alternative scenes, and there is one in particular which is pretty awesome and you will be able to see why they left it out.

I can't recommend this show highly enough. I know people that have watched like 10mins of it and then said it was boring, but they must have a very short attention span. Within a few episodes you will be hooked and become obssessed with 24. Incredible acting, incredible plot, incredible concept and an incredible show.

• Alyson29 published 25/02/2012
    I've only seen the first one, but recently purchased the next 3 series, so I must get on and watch them x
  • Panda.Eyes published 25/02/2012
    I love this too!
  • nikkired published 25/02/2012
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE 24! And I LOVE Jack Bauer even more!!