4 x 4 = 12 - Deadmau5

4 x 4 = 12 - Deadmau5

1 CD(s) - Techno - Label: Virgin - Distributor: EMI Operations/CEVA Logistics, Universal Music - Released: 06/12/2010 - 5099991906120

Review of "4 x 4 = 12 - Deadmau5"

published 06/12/2010 | tj_tennis
Member since : 24/08/2010
I'm Tom I'm a self-employed tennis coach, I Like Sport- tennis + football, films, TV and a variety of music.
Pro Great follow up album to his first 2. Like the new dubstep approach in the last few tracks.
Cons Not as many mainstream 'Big hitters' like the first or second album.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"The Mau5 is in the Hau5 !"

Well before I start raving about the genius that is Joel Zimmerman aka Deadmau5, I thought I'd give a bit of background for those that may be unaware of his existence or for those that want a view of his work. He's a Canadian progressive house and electro producer that stormed the music scene with the track 'I Remember' featuring Kaskade. This isn't only one of my all time favourite Deadmau5 tracks but possibly of the whole genre of dance music. It may be fairly repetitive but it's just beautiful in every sense of the word.

This was part of his debut album 'Random Album Title' released in 2008 and also contained popular tracks like 'Brazil' and 'Not Exactly'. A year later he released his second album 'For Lack of A Better Name' and contained hits such as, 'Hi Friend' featuring MC Flipside, 'Ghosts 'n' Stuff'' featuring Rob Swire from Pendulum and Strobe.

I understand that he will not be everyones preferred music artist. Many will find his albums repetitive and mediocre compared to some of his competitors. However, for those that are fans, you will know of his talent in producing high-quality dance tracks.

Since the pre-release of some of the albums tracks, the anticipation has never stopped growing. The first to be released was Some Chords which is the first track on the album. Its everything that the he is known for, catchy electro beats with the odd bass thrown in, it is a good start to the album. 'Animal Rights' was the next to be previewed and this features Wolfgang Gartner, an upcoming electro producer from the US. This was very popular and was soon followed by the news that Deadmau5 would be touring the UK in december. The final track to be pre-released was 'Sofi Needs A Ladder' featuring Sofi. This was the first lyrical release and was slightly different to his previous lyrical work as it contained more lines and a shorter chorus which was unusual. I liked the track but its wasn't my favourite.

Even if I had disliked the pre-released material I would have still bought this album. I love his music and it can be listened to in any mood whether relaxing on a sunday afternoon, or just before going out on a Saturday night.

As I said in the beginning, the genre of the last 3 tracks is Dubstep. This style of music is often hit and miss with me and could have reduced the rating to a four or even a 3 star album. However, thankfully this was not the case. The tracks were just spine-tinglingly awesome. In particular, 'Raise Your Weapon' is absolute brilliance and gives me chills every time I play it. It is possibly my favourite of the album.

With dubstep reaching it's most popular in 2010 with artists like Nero and most recently Magnetic Man releasing popular hits, then he has made a clever and risky choice to branch out into their worlds.

Other tracks that grabbed my attention straight away were 'Right This Second' and 'Bad Selection'. Both more orientated in the original style of Deadmau5, they are catchy electro beats that keep you interested from the first to last seconds.

I cannot praise Deadmau5 enough for the music he has produced not just in this album bur for the previous works too. He is an excellent DJ and after seeing him live at Radio 1's Big Weekend in 2009, I am totally gutted I won't be able to catch him whilst he's touring in the UK during December 2010.

This is a must buy for any Deadmu5 fan. However, for those that are new to his work, I would suggest buying his first 2 albums before this one as they contain more mainstream hits that you will be more likely to fall in love with like I did.

• Spuddydoodah published 07/12/2010