Genre: Action/Adventure - Manufacturer: Telltale Publishing - Age Rating: 18+

Review of "7 Days to Die (PS4)"

published 06/09/2016 | armor567
Member since : 26/07/2016
I'm an experienced writer and an avid reader. I studied English literature and I'm pursuing a career of a full-time writer.
Pro Longevity, the hybrid idea of Minecraft and zombie games
Cons Graphics, gameplay, atmosphere, not finished
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"7 Days to Die is plain torture"

7 Days to Die (PS4)

7 Days to Die is a new video game for PS4, so I was looking forward to checking it out since I like zombie games. Recently I've reviewed the latest Dead Island game, which was a solid example of a good, story-driven zombie apocalypse. This one, however, had a set of many issues,

Gameplay

Let's begin with the good stuff. The gameplay in 7 Days to Die is a hybrid of Minecraft and typical zombie games, like the Dead Island series. Because it's a hybrid, the people that made this game decided that it doesn't need a story. This was a huge letdown for me, because the game felt empty. Basically, your only goal is to survive and defend yourself. The really interesting aspect was the Minecraft influence; you can build things using environment, which can help you defend yourself against zombies, when there's simply too many to "kill". You can build forts to hide or to protect yourself, but you have to be careful, because your fort can't help you forever.

Graphics

The visual effects were another low point for me, because they used the animations that look very similar to Minecraft. This makes sens, because there are so many elements of that game in 7 Days to Die. I felt a bit cheated because of that; after all, doesn't this make it just an edited Minecraft game? This is an obvious experiment that didn't go so well, so I would really recommend waiting for the sequels or other games like this that are on the way. Personally, I think it's an embarassment, because the game looks at least ten years old, which seems absurd for a 2016 release.

Multiplayer

The singleplayer campaign has no story, as I mentioned, so I was at least hoping to see some change in the multiplayer stage. Alas, it was yet another disappointment for me. It's more fun to play with your friends, but there's still a lot missing. There are no creative challenges to do or any missions on your way. It's like playing the campaign with your friends. At times, the game is so bad it's good, especially because of the unrealistic graphics and the physics of the game.

Price

You can get this video game for 27 pounds, but I wouldn't recommend it. 20 hours of gameplay was more than I wanted, honestly. The game is practically a demo, so it should be shorter and especially cheaper. With this price, I expect a finished video game.

Verdict

7 Days to Die showed me that ideas have to be executed well in order to work. I liked the idea, so I'm looking forward to the video game that transforms that idea in a better way.

• Pointress published 30/10/2016
    vh
  • jo-1976 published 18/09/2016
    Sounds disappointing
  • mumsymary published 13/09/2016
    good

offers "7 Days to Die (PS4)"