99p Stores

99p Stores

Review of "99p Stores"

published 01/11/2009 | Sbriers1
Member since : 10/10/2009
Pro Cheap products (not literally). Well known brands. Nice layout.
Cons Queues can be too long. Some of their stuff is rubbish.
Frequency of visit
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range

"Sound as a pound (or 99p as the case may be)"

I am the sort of person who is always on the lookout for a good bargain, and when a 99p store opened just down the road from where I live a couple of months ago, I was rather pleased, and eager to test out what they were like. Walking in the shelves are packed with products and goods with familiar brand names, like Flash cleaning products and Coca Cola. This immediately gained favour with me as some of the other discount stores I have been in offer brands from the other side of the planet that nobody's heard of. For example, I bought a big bag of Starburst sweets for guess how much (yes, 99p). The quality was as to be expected from a leading sweet manufacturer, and nothing was compromised as a result of it being available in a discount store.

They sell a wide range of products, from sweets to cleaning products, from stationery to cutlery and from costumes to DVD's. Their range of DVD's and CD's however does leave a lot to be desired (they are usually changed every so often once their batch has sold out, as they only replenish their stock with the cheapest stuff available in terms of these products). An innovative idea they use is baskets with wheels, so that when the basket gets too heavy to heave around the store, the castors can do the work for you, which I thought was ingenious.

The store itself is well laid out. Things are relatively easy to find, and the place isn't a heaving mess of boxes and old receipts like some other similarly styled stores of this nature, which again I was impressed with.

One thing I would advise against is buying paper from there (something I would cll myself a dab hand at knowing about). Although you can get 800 A5 sheets for 99p, these are made from the most inferior paper that will create ink blotches when you write on it, so that's best left for somewhere else I'd say. Apart from that, the products are of a good quality and at 99p for everything, you can't go far wrong.

Customer service is a bit lacklustre, and some of the staff I have encountered look as though if they uttered anything even remotely good mannered they'd explode or warp into another dimension. Though on the contrary, there are some who are friendly and have a genial manner, as you'd come to expect. Due to the value of the goods, 99p stores are quite popular, and you might be waiting for a while to be served.

So overall, I would give my recommendation to shopping in these stores if you re looking for some good bargains, and don't wish to compromise on quality. With a wide range of products as well, you're sure to want to buy something before leaving.

Product Information : 99p Stores