AOpen DVD 1648

AOpen DVD 1648

Review of "AOpen DVD 1648"

published 09/04/2004 | benben_uk
Member since : 07/04/2004
Satisfactory
Pro Cheap and reliable
Cons Cost me a lot of money by destroying my computer
Memory / capacity
Reliability
Design
Ease of Installation

"The DVD Drive from Hell"

Okay, i'll start by just giving a few details about the drive. It can read DVDs at 16x, which means that it can read data 16 times faster than is needed just to play a DVD film and it can read CDs at 48x, 48 times faster than is required to play CDs. The one I had came with my first computer and worked fine, it read CDs and DVDs without any trouble and was even able to read some badly-written CDRs than only CD writers are usually good enough to read. It made the occassional clunky sound, but most DVD drives do. The drive has an IDE interface and an internal audio header for connecting to a sound card. Here comes the horror story though, so settle down with some cocoa and a cookie.

Ever since I bought my computer, it randomly locked up on a regular basis, usually whenever I used it to play games, so I assumed it was just overheating or something and put more fans in. That didn't help, so I thought that maybe the power supply unit that was provided (only 235Watt) probably wasn't powerful enough, so I put in a 400w PSU. It still randomly locked up. In fact it locked up more and more frequently until eventually the PSU died. I replaced the PSU but then about 3 months later, the new PSU exploded, and fried the motherboard at the same time. This sort of thing happened for two and a half years, things in my computer would just randomly break every few months.

The cause of this however completely baffled me - I tried swapping out the suspect components with spares but the problem continued. It wasn't until I had owned the computer for 2.5 years that I found out what the problem was - a power supply had just exploded particularly violently with a big flash and a lot of smoke and my DVD drive broke at the same time. I replaced the PSU and the DVD drive and after that everything worked fine. The computer has not locked up in over a year any nothing else has broken. It seems that the DVD drive was to blame all the time.

In total, the drive destroyed:

2 Motherboards
2 Hard disks (30Gb, 60Gb)
7 Power Supplies
256Mb Memory

These components costed me in excess of £450 to replace - so be warned!

I'm not saying that these drive are neccessarily all bad - I may well have just been unlucky to get a faulty one, but if you get one of these and your computer randomly locks up and destroys PSUs, suspect the DVD drive!

Other than than, the drive worked fine and was perfectly reliable despite being one of the least expensive available.

After discovering that my DVD drive cost me so much time and money, I broke it into little pieces so that nobody can ever attempt to fix it and put it into a different computer. I'm trying to think of a good way to destroy it, maybe i'll string it up somewhere - if you have any ideas please let me know.

• scampi1 published 09/04/2004
    sounds like one to avoid.

Product Information : AOpen DVD 1648

Enjoy the highest transfer rate with the first 16X speed DVD-ROM drive. As a "Principal Member of DVD-Forum", AOpen has remained focused on providing high-quality optical storage devices that meet the needs of customers in a range of fields. DVD-1648 provides leading performance of 16X DVD-ROM and 48X CD-ROM functions. Additional enhancements include the digital servomechanism and CAV technology to keep the drive on track. DDS (Dynamic Damping System) soaks up vibration to help minimize error and to improve the stability of reading of CD or DVD formats including CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW.

Product Description: AOpen DVD 1648 - DVD-ROM drive - IDE

Device Type: DVD-ROM drive - internal, DVD-ROM drive

Colour: Beige

Interface: IDE

Dimensions (WxDxH): 14.9 cm x 19.6 cm x 4.2 cm, 14.9 cm x 18.8 cm x 4.2 cm

Weight: 1 kg

Optical Storage: DVD-ROM - 5.25" x 1/2H

Read Speed: 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD)

Media Load Type: Tray

Weight: 1 kg

Enclosure Type: Internal

Optical Storage

Type: DVD-ROM - 5.25" x 1/2H

Read Speed: 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD)

Supported Media Formats: CD Extra, CD-DA (audio), CD-I, CD-ROM XA, Photo CD, Video CD

Supported Media Types: CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW

Media Load Type: Tray

Buffer Size: 256 KB, 512 KB

Features: Play/skip button, volume control wheel, headphone jack

Compliant Standards: Video CD, Kodak PhotoCD, CD-DA, CD-XA, CDi, Video CD, 2nd generation, Kodak PhotoCD, CD-DA, CD-XA, CDi, Video CD

Access Time: 100 ms (CD), 110 ms (DVD)

Expansion / Connectivity

Interfaces: 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x audio - SPDIF output - 2 PIN Digital Audio ¦ 1 x audio - line-out - 4 PIN MPC

Connections: 1 x storage - ATA-66 - 40 PIN IDC

Compatible Bays: 1 x front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H

Miscellaneous

Rack Mounting Kit: Not available

MTBF: 100,000 hour(s)

Compliant Standards: FCC Class B certified, UL, TUV, C-Tick, BSMI, cUL, DHHS, NEMKO

Mounting Kit: Included