ASDA Smartprice Measuring Jug

ASDA Smartprice Measuring Jug

Utensils - Jug

Review of "ASDA Smartprice Measuring Jug"

published 11/04/2012 | cornishchic
Member since : 27/07/2011
Pro Cheap
Cons Markings aren't clear, turned orange

"Measure this"

Although I love my Pyrex jug, just having that one jug in the kitchen isn’t practical. I’m a little water efficient when it comes to washing up (more like lazy but we wont go there) and I only wash up once a day. As there is only me and my daughter we don’t go through a lot of dishes anyway. This can sometimes mean if I’ve used a jug earlier in the day, then need to use a jug at tea time, I’d be without. When I was in Asda I spotted these Smartprice jugs for only 35 pence, perfect for a secondary jug.

The measuring jug is from Asda’s Smartprice range so it is quite basic, but it does the job, who cares! It is made from a clear plastic, I wouldn’t say it’s very thin, but it isn’t the thickest it could be either, the handle can carry the jug well, even if it is full. It also has a spout for easy pouring.

The measurements can be found on both sides of the jug, it has all the measurements you might need, pints, fluid ounces and millilitres. The only problem with the measurements is that they aren’t printed on to the jug in any kind of different colour, they are just raised plastic numbers. This makes it very difficult to see how much liquid is in there, especially if the liquid is clear.

I’ve used our jug for multiple different uses, the main use is heating things up in the microwave, this includes tomato based foods, including pasta sauces and baked beans. After using the jug for these food types a couple of times, it did start to stain the jug a lovely shade of orange. Despite scrubbing the jug, the orange will not disappear, but it’s no harm, it just makes looking for the measurements a little harder.

The handle of the jug is handy, as it means you don’t have to carry the jug by the body. It also comes in handy when stirring things, such as gravy as without holding on to the handle, as the plastic is quite light, it would go flying everywhere.

Despite being used in the microwave and with boiling hot liquids inside, the plastic measuring jug hasn’t been deformed in any way, and is still the same round shape as when I first bought it.

For only 35 pence, this Asda Smartprice measuring jug is a bargain. Although it can be difficult to see the different measurement markings if you are measuring clear liquids, it heats up food well, and would be as good as new if it hadn’t been stained a lovely shade of orange.

• Drewster-Rooster published 11/04/2012
    I've got the same one and yep, mine's stained too lol :)
  • xxfoxyredxx published 11/04/2012
    Argh I had one of these till I lost me temper and upgraded I couldnt read the measurement markings on it at all and yup mine had stained too! lol x
  • j9j8j7 published 11/04/2012
    I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Pyrex snob- I'd get another one if I had a bit more space in the kitchen.