ASUS Eee PC 1215P Seashell

ASUS Eee PC 1215P Seashell

Go anywhere in style with the Eee PC 1215P Seashell - a high-definition netbook with a dual-core processor and large, widescreen display.

Review of "ASUS Eee PC 1215P Seashell"

published 03/05/2012 | Stargirl101
Member since : 22/04/2012
Im Becky, my reviews are 100% truthful opinion, and all rates will aim to be returned! Thanks for reading :)
Pro Small size, quick speed, attractive appearence
Cons Gets a tad slow at times, and could do with a bigger memory
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"A speedy, compact, portable laptop for all your needs!"

I recieved this laptop as a Christmas gift, and have been using it very regularly for four months now. As a University student, I needed a portable laptop that would not only help me in my studies, but also allow me to comfortably browse the internet, use skype, watch movies and much more! This review will hopfully explain my thoughts and experiences with this laptop and give the reader a sense of how useful it would be for them.

Who are ASUS?
When I was researching different laptops to buy, I frequently came across a range of different ASUS laptops. As someone who had never heard much, if anything, about ASUS as a company, I decided to do a little research into the company. On their website they describe their laptop range as being 'a well established and respected brand for both home and business users. These laptops have the right balance of quality specifications at excellent prices.' I found this to be quite a nice introduction into the company, and upon looking at their range of products I found that they were easily on par with many of the other 'major players' in the computing industry, and were often slightly cheaper! After asking around friends and family about their opinions or experiences with the company, I found out that my cousin had a ASUS laptop. She spoke extremely highly of her laptop and recommended me to get one for myself!

The laptop I settled on was the 'Asus 1215N-RED097M', which is infact a netbook ( Basically, a smaller laptop), and costs £318 from the ASUS website. The product has a 12.1 inch display, its dimensions are 296mm (W) x 203mm (D) x 38mm (H), and it weighes 1.46 kg. The netbook comes with a D525 1.8G processor, 2048MB of memory, with a 320GB hardrive. The battery is described as lasting for up too 6 hours, and the laptop also boasts a 0.2 megapixel webcam, bluetooth, a port for an ethernet cable, 1 USB 2.0 port, 2 USB 3.0 ports, a HDMI port, a VGA port, and a standard audio jack. The laptop also has a built in speaker, and a built in microphone. Finally, the netbook operates on Windows 7 Home Premium for its operating system.

My Thoughts and Experiences
Upon opening the box, the first thing I noticed was the colour of the product, which is an appealing shade of burgandy. I think that the colour is really gender neutral, and would suit almost any room, desk or enviroment. The top of the laptop also has a silver ASUS logo placed in the centre. After taking the laptop out of the box I was initially quite shocked by the small size (I knew it was going to be small... but not this small!), and the light weight. I was even more surprised when I opened the laptop, and saw the small screen and keyboard. For someone who was used to a larger sized laptop, this smaller size did take a couple of days to get used too, but I soon found myself loving its smaller dimensions. When I went back to university after the Christmas break, I discovered that its smaller size was infact a godsend! The netbook is small enough to fit into my handbag (even when inside a case), and light enough to not really notice that its there! Also, I found that even though the keyboard is small, that does not make it less easy to use. Yes, it does take a couple of days to get used to the smaller proportions, but I've found the small size to be easier on my fingers when dong lots and lots of typing (which, as a student, I tend to have to do!).

When analysing at the speed of the laptop, I've found the netbook to be quick enough for regular internet browsing, but quite slow when under heavy usage. For someone like me that doesn't need heavy internet usage, this isn't a problem, but for others who require more use this might be a problem. The webcam and microphone are extremely useful for chat programs such as skype. The webcam is placed in the centre of the upper part of the laptop (the best place in my opinion), and while im not sure where the microphone is, i've never had a problem with it! The 'mouse' section is also well placed, quite sensitive and easy to use.

Overall Opinions
After four months of using this laptop I've rarely had a problem with it! I've found it extremely easy to use, navigate and customize! The small size is the biggest advantage for me, because of how easy it is to carry around. However, I have found that sometimes it can be a tad slow while downloading, or heavily using the internet. Even so, I've never really found this a problem, and it certnaly doesn't effect my overall impression of the laptop. I have also been impressed with the battery life, and even found it too exceed the 6 hour limet stated in the product description. Probably my biggest problem with this netbook is, in my opinion, its small memory. However, due to many harddrives on the market, I do not think that this is too much of an issue. Overall, a great laptop that I would recommend to anyone who asked!

Product Information : ASUS Eee PC 1215P Seashell

Product Description: ASUS Eee PC 1215P Seashell - 12.1" - Atom N550 - Windows 7 Home Premium - 2 GB RAM - 250 GB HDD

Product Type: Netbook

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor: Intel Atom N550 / 1.5 GHz / 1 MB Cache, Intel Atom N570 / 1.66 GHz / 1 MB Cache

Memory: 2 GB DDR3, 1 GB DDR3

Storage: 250 GB HDD, 320 GB HDD, 250 GB HDD / 5400 rpm

Display: 12.1" LED backlight 1366 x 768 / HD

Graphics: Intel GMA 3150

Networking: 802.11n , 10/100 Ethernet

Battery: 6-cell - up to 7 hours, 6-cell, 6-cell - up to 8 hours

Colour: Matte black, Matt silver, Glossy black IMR, Matte red, Black

Dimensions (WxDxH): 29.6 cm x 20.3 cm x 3.8 cm, 29.6 cm x 20.3 cm x 2.3 cm, 29.6 cm x 20.3 cm x 3.7 cm

Microsoft Office Preloaded: Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC.

Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified , EPEAT Gold

Display / Diagonal Size: 12

RAM / Installed Size: 2 GB

Long Name: Eee PC 1215P

General

MPN: 90OA38B11312AA1E139Q, 90OA38B32313AA1E139Q, 90OA38B42313AA1E139Q, 1215P-MU17-SL, 1215P-MU17-RD, 90OA38B33313AA1E139, 90OA38B31112AA1E139Q, 1215P-MU17-BK, 90OA38B13313AA1E139

Product Type: Netbook

64-bit Computing: Yes

Chipset: Intel NM10 Express

Features: Hyper-Threading Technology

Memory

RAM: 2 GB, 1 GB ( 1 x 1 GB )

Max RAM Supported: 2 GB

Interface: SATA 1.5 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s

Display

Type: 12.1"

LCD Backlight Technology: LED backlight

Resolution: 1366 x 768 ( HD )

Widescreen: Yes

Technology: 6-cell Lithium Ion

Capacity: 4400 mAh, 47 Wh

Run Time: Up to 7 hours, Up to 8 hours

AC Adapter

Input: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Output: 40 Watt , 19 V , 2.1 A

Connections & Expansion

Interfaces: 3 x USB 2.0 ¦ VGA ¦ Microphone input ¦ Headphone output ¦ LAN

Memory Card Reader: Yes ( SD Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Card )

Software

Software Included: Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 (trial), Microsoft Office 2010 Starter

Miscellaneous

EPEAT Compliant: EPEAT Gold

ENERGY STAR Qualified: Yes

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 2 years warranty, 1 year warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 2 years - pick-up and return, Limited warranty - 2 years, Limited warranty - 1 year ¦ Limited warranty - battery - 6 months

Listed on Ciao since: 01/04/2011