A Good Day To Die Hard (DVD)

A Good Day To Die Hard (DVD)

Review of "A Good Day To Die Hard (DVD)"

published 22/02/2013 | carlz2001
Member since : 21/11/2009
Feeling a little happier with the site. Maybe my DIAMOND had something to do with it?! : )
Pro Strong action sequences, Brucey, fast paced
Cons Structure a little dodgy, a bit erratic in places
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Like father. Like son. Like hell!"

I’ve been desperate to see the latest instalment of this long running franchise for weeks, and last night I finally got the chance……

The film starts with John McClane (Bruce Willis – do I even need to clarify that?!) learning that his estranged son is up to his neck in it in Russia after he has murdered a mobster in a nightclub. McClane hops on the next plane over and soon finds himself in Moscow, embroiled in yet another adventure, all be it not his own. McClane waits to catch a glimpse of his son outside the courthouse and soon starts realising that things aren’t quite right. What follows is literally 90 minutes of blood, explosions, car chases, gun toting Russians (plus two Americans), oh and some weapons grade Uranium….

The $92 million (estimated) budget was well spent, with a good combination of Brucey / CGI! I dread the day when they make a Die Hard film that hasn’t got Bruce Willis in it, although I do suspect this may have been the last? Despite only being released a little over a week ago, its $38 million at the box office (in the US alone), will no doubt be pleasing all involved. McClane is quick witted and dry and there are lots of one liners throughout the film that made me chuckle. He gels well with his on screen son, played by the relatively new comer Jai Courtney.

This film, for me, lived up to its ‘Die Harder’ title. It seemed to bring it faster and harder than Die Hard 4.0 which I seem to remember enjoying but at the same time being pretty unmemorable. Six years on and Brucey has aged that little bit more, but he certainly hasn’t lost it. Die Harder is packed full of CGI and stunts that the first set of Die Hards could only dream of. Some of the CGI was (in action film terms) absolutely spectacular. Lots of slow motion scenes with Brucey flipping about all over the place, left me speechless in parts. Don’t get me wrong, this is shut your brain down territory, no complex story lines or Oscar winning performances, but this is what Die Hard is all about, simplicity at its best.

For all you critics out there, give it a chance. Yes Skip Woods (The A-Team) probably wasn’t the best choice in the world as writer, but this is no A Team, I promise you that! John Moore as Director is fairly surprising, but a good follow on for him from his last film (Max Payne). There are plenty of goofs, but which film doesn’t nowadays? The main one of driving from Moscow to Chernoybl in a few short hours is probably the biggest (nearly 700 kilometres). The structure could be picked upon (I guess), it is a little erratic in places and extremely fast paced, but for me, that’s what made the film. I didn’t want the characters to sit over a cup of coffee and discuss their issues, I wanted them to do it while running around throwing grenades and jumping out of sky scrapers whilst under helicopter fire…..! That’s what Die Hard’s all about isn’t it?

In terms of the storyline, as I mentioned, it is a little erratic in places, and possibly not structured the best way possible. It also didn’t really have any cliffhangers as the moments where you were probably meant to gasp and say ‘I didn’t see that coming’ had been spotted by me and most likely everyone in the cinema about twenty minutes previously. That aside… I still loved it! I went in expecting to love it and I wasn’t disappointed. I think if you are going to go in expecting it to be rubbish, it will be. Just give it a chance and spread the love for Brucey ; )

At 97 minutes, it’s a middle of the road length. It could have stretched a little longer, but it didn’t feel like it was too short either. Interestingly, it is the shortest film from the franchise.

John McClane: ‘The things we do for our kids. Yippie-kai-yay, mother %£&^£*.’

• supersonic75 published 28/02/2013
    E x
  • ryanando published 28/02/2013
    Need to see this... and the last one too lol
  • Absinthe_Fairy published 28/02/2013