A New York Winter's Tale (dvd)

A New York Winter's Tale (dvd)

Review of "A New York Winter's Tale (dvd)"

published 18/03/2017 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
Trying to catch up on all rates
Pro casting, storyline
Cons none
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"A New York Winters Tale"

A New Yorks Winters Tale (dvd)

A New Yorks Winters Tale (dvd)

A New Yorks Winters Tale
Price: £4.36
Released: 2014
Certificate: 12

I've had this on my bookcase to watch for many, many months and I've just not been in the right mood to watch it, all I knew before watching was it's full of love and magic, not a lot to go on, when the only films I really associate with magic is harry potter... This film is based on a book written in 1983 with the same name written by Mark Helprin, I am really interested in reading this book.

New York 1895 Peter's parents see a doctor and are told they have to leave the country, they leave behind their baby son, they put him on a little wooden boat on his own wrapped in a blanket and he is set free in the sea.

New York 1916
Peter is still in New York and on the run, he steals to get by and has a horse as a companion, he plans to leave New York where he is the most wanted man with the prize for his capture doubling frequently. On one of Peter's break ins before he leaves he is disturbed by Beverley playing Piano that he stops trying to rob her place and goes to speak to her. He informs her that he was trying to rob the place and she offers him a cup of tea. Beverley is kept inside at all times she has an illness, she's an english lady who is fascinated by Peter and what he has stolen and she finds him rather Charming. Peter wants to see Beverley again but by the time he returns in the summer she says she'll already be dead and with that he is torn between staying in a place he is wanted for crimes he has committed and fleeing to a place where no one knows him to.

This film is so easy to follow and understand, It has magical moments throughout but not too many that It overpowers what's being portrayed. A beautiful white horse which can grow wings when needed to, was my favourite and the use of pictures to show visions was very clever. The use of repetition was good, with the image being shown in different ways and how they showed that what you think the image means can also mean something different.

Brilliant special effects and makeup, I loved the horse, the wings which appeared twice during the film, looked so magical and pretty they were clear which reflected the sun nicely and made them look as though they were sparkling at times. I also liked that when Pearley got angry his face would look as if it was cracking it was very well done.

I absolutely loved the opening speech of the film, it was a voice over and I think it captured me instantly.
'What if, once upon a time, there were no stars in the sky at all? What if the stars are not what we think? What if the light from afar doesn't come from the rays of distant suns, but from our wings as we turn into angels? Destiny calls to each of us. And there is a world behind the world where we are all connected, all part of a great and moving plan. Magic is everywhere around us. You just have to look. Look. Look closely. For even time and distance are not what they appear to be.'

There were also quite a few funny moments throughout the film, at times when humour probably shouldn't be used but it made it less tense, moments when you usually would be feeling bad for a character you would be awkwardly laughing.

Colin Farrell as Peter Lake
Jessica Brown- Findlay as Beverley Penn
Russell Crowe as Pearly Soames
Alan Doyle as Dingy Worthington
Kevin Corrigan as Romeo Tan.
Will Smith as Judge Lucifer

A great cast with some very well known actors. I was shocked to see Will Smith, I love Will Smith I think he's a brilliant actor. He didn't have a huge role and was only on briefly but he stood out for me. I really liked the relationship between Peter and Pearly, Pearly being the one who desperately wanting Peter dead and seeking acceptance for what he played from the judge but he also has a very interesting past with Peter.

This is a beautifully love story full of magic and hope. I would recommend this to everyone, it's a film I think everyone will enjoy. It has a brilliant plot and fantastic cast. I can't believe I didn't watch it sooner, it's definitely a favourite of mine now.It reminded me slightly of the film stardust, with the magic but no so much the storyline.

• mademoiselle.ariel published 25/03/2017
    Great review, I quite like this movie.
  • bettyboo47 published 22/03/2017
    very nicely written!!
  • kiss_me2070 published 21/03/2017
    Good review.

offers "A New York Winter's Tale (dvd)"