Review of "A Place to Call Home - Carole Matthews"

published 14/11/2017 | xd-o-n-z-x
Member since : 13/02/2014
After almost a year off, I'm back!! Looking forward to reading all of your reviews - thank you for all the rates - very much appreciated!! :)
Pro plot, characters, heartwarming
Cons none
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"~ * A Homely Read * ~"

Carole Matthews is one of my favourite authors and so I am always keen to pick up one of her books. You can always rely on Carole to give you a good read – so when I spotted this book ‘A Placed To Call Home’ in The Works shop as part of a 3 for £5 offer, I just had to get it. In fact, I ended up buying three of Carole’s books for a fiver.

A Place To Call Home is a chick-lit book which was released in the United Kingdom in 2014 and so is a fairly recent read. The story follows Ayesha and her young daughter Sabina who escape their home and violent husband and father. On the other hand, Hayden is a retired rock star who rarely leaves the house. And then there is Crystal, a wild girl. How will they all get on? Read A Place To Call Home to find out.

I really enjoyed this book – it’s such a heartwarming read and I love how it covers both friendship and romance. I like how there is drama, comedy, fear, friendship and love all covered in this book. The book is fast paced too which provides plenty of drama. The story touches on a real life subject of domestic violence, which I thought was good, especially as it raises the awareness of such a horrible thing.

I liked the characters in this book. I liked Ayesha and felt really sorry for her and Sabina. I also liked Hayden as he was a surprising little character – I didn’t expect him to be like that. I also liked Crystal – her character reminded me a bit of Hazel from Footballers Wives for some reason. I thought that they were a wonderful mix of characters and each brough something to the story. There were plenty of characters to keep the story moving and keep it interesting but not too many that it became confusing. Obviously I didn’t like Ayesha’s husband as he was just horrible!!

As usual with Carole, this book is excellently written. Carole has the perfect way with words. The descriptive writing is amazing, and I felt as though I was part of the story, which is always a nice thing for a reader. I found the book to be addictive reading – as soon as I started it, I just could not stop turning the pages.

I would definitely recommend this book.

Thanks for reading