A-Z for Members Challenges

A-Z for Members Challenges

Review of "A-Z for Members Challenges"

published 28/01/2010 | CelticSoulSister
Member since : 25/10/2009
Pro As usual, the opportunity to talk about my favourite subject
Cons It might be boring to others!

"Yet another journey into the mind of CelticSoulSister"

Ahhh yet another opportunity has presented for me to rattle on relentlessly about yours truly.

I did complete one of these A-Z Of Me type things in my early DooYoo days, and I made it largely age-orientated, but I feel for Ciao I’d like to take a different and perhaps more random stance for my current personal A-Z.

As I sit here with a blank page in front of me, I have little or no idea what will emerge, but let’s get my brain in gear and see what’s tumbling around in there tonight. I probably will end up surprising myself!

A IS FOR ANGELS

If one more person emails me that infernal “Money Angel” or that rather nasty “Angel” who promises to bestow all sorts of dire catastrophes upon my life if I don’t forward it to at least 10,000 people, I shan’t be responsible for my actions. Listen please world! Each time you send me these things, I do NOT open them! They get instantly deleted and blitzed to my email rubbish bin. Save yourself the trouble, eh?

B IS FOR BIG BROTHER

On a particular forum I belong to is a member who is obsessed with the TV programme Big Brother to the point where I worry about her mental health. I cannot for the life of me understand the fascination with this intrinsically banal and lamentable piece of idiocy. Regarding the forum member, it appears that not one moment of her life can elapse without the need to open yet another new thread on this hideous programme, and I believe her obsession has reached the stage where she needs professional help.

C IS FOR CHIPPLES

Whatever happened to those lovely, crunchy little sticks of potato which I remember from the mid-1960s? They came in a blue and red bag and looked like headless matchsticks, were quite salty, but truly delicious – I used to buy a huge-sized packet for a mere 2d in the tuck shop opposite the gates of my secondary school, and the contents would last from assembly, right through double maths, then English literature followed by Social Studies, nicely up to lunch time.

D IS FOR DRIVER’S SEAT

Quite a lot of people claim Driver’s Seat by Flash & The Pan (released in 1979) to be their all-time favourite single, so why didn’t it make the UK top 40? Maybe it’s out of the bag of those one-off all-time classic gems that nobody ever buys, but wishes they had? I won’t say it’s my out & out favourite single, but it’s definitely fairly high up in my all-time top 50.

E IS FOR ECLECTIC

Eclectic is what my musical taste can be described as. I love rock & roll, blues, jazz, classical, some opera, R&B, singer/songwriter, good chart pop from the 1960s/1970s and early 1980s, piano boogie-woogie, Irish folk, Celtic soul, Northern soul, Motown, 1960s black soul, 1960s and early 1970s prog rock, doo-wop, and quite a bit more that doesn’t fall into any particular category.

F IS FOR ‘FLU

It frustrates me that when some people merely have ordinary colds, they claim it’s flu. Have they ever truly had flu before? If so, they’d realise there are marked differences between the two maladays. Flu comes on very quickly, sometimes within a matter of a few minutes – first you’re OK then you’re not – whereas the incubation period for an ordinary cold is I believe something like 48 hours. Nasal emissions on the first day of a cold are of a thicker consistency than with flu……if you have flu, it’s like someone’s turned a tap on inside your head and the water is escaping out of your nose. You can generally, even though it’s uncomfortable, function with a cold – with flu, you’re so wiped out and weak that you can hardly get out of bed. Yes, you can feel achy and shivery at the outset of a cold, but with flu your whole body will be gripped with shivering fits as violent as those experienced by a heroin addict in the worst stages of cold turkey. You might go off your food a bit with a cold, but with flu the thought of food can make you throw up! You’ll recover from a cold within a few days, but flu can knock the stuffing out of you for several weeks. Can YOU tell the difference?

G IS FOR GRANDPARENTS

Apart from a fairly misty memory of my lovely grandfather from Aberdeen coming to stay with us when I was aged about 3, I never knew my grandparents. My maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother both died before I was born, and my maternal grandmother died when I was a small baby. I’d love to have warm and cosy memories of doting grandparents, but I only have those vague, fleeting, hazy ones of my paternal grandfather showing me a book about trains while I was perched on his knee, taking me for walks in the park and me sitting with him on a wooden bench outside a pub on Southend’s seafront – me with an orange squash and a packet of arrowroot biscuits, and he with a pint of Guinness. There was a huge family row and he fled back to Scotland, never to be seen or heard by us until in 1963 when the news broke of his untimely death from a heart attack.

H IS FOR HILARITY

I’m one of these people who hardly ever laughs out loud or heartily, but on the rare occasion that something really slams into my humour spot, I then can’t stop laughing, sometimes for hours on end.

I IS FOR ICE CREAM

During the summer months, I go into panic mode if my freezer isn’t chockerblock with gallons of the stuff – but, it must be luxury or semi-luxury brands, otherwise I’m not impressed. I find that nothing cools me down more on a scorching hot day than a massive tub of delicious ice cream. OK it’s loaded with fat and calories, but then so am I!!

J IS FOR JOHNNY

Johnny H was a really lovely guy who back in the late 1950s, was my dad’s best friend. He was a bit of an Arthur Daley type character – he even wore the hat! Johnny was a very frequent visitor to our house, and he always without fail would bring me round a spearmint flavoured ice lolly – then he’d sit and blow my mind (well, I was only about 4) with these truly amazing card tricks. Sadly Johnny died in the early 1970s, and although we’d long since by that time lost touch, I never stopped thinking about him and how nice he was to me.

K IS FOR KNITTING

Though I don’t have time to do any knitting these days, it’s something I’ve always found very therapeutic and relaxing. My mum taught me to knit when I was very very young – I think I could knit before I could read – and I used to make little squares for women at our local church, who’d sew them into blankets and send them to deprived children in third world countries. It’s very irritating to have someone else with me while I’m knitting, and I have lots of memories of, when I was married, my ex forever choosing the very moment that I was counting stitches or concentrating on a complex pattern, to begin an in-depth discussion about life, the universe and everything.

L IS FOR LIGHTNING

Not something I want to go into too much description of, as I wrote a lot about it in one of my DooYoo pieces….but I will re-assert here that it’s my greatest fear, of truly phobic proportions. I fail to understand why others think lightning is something I shouldn’t be terrified of, as to me it’s quite logical to fear massive bolts of electricity striking at random out of the sky. Also, assurances such as “you’re more likely to have a huge win on the lottery than get struck by lightning” don’t help in the least, as in recent years that has been proved to be statistically untrue. Why on earth can’t this massive energy force somehow be harnessed and put to good use?

M IS FOR MARIA

Maria is my longest-standing friend. Through the passage of time, although we have had gaps where there has been no contact between us, we’ve known one another since 1959 when we were both aged 5, and we’ve always on meeting up again managed to pick up where we left off. Maria used to look after me when I was a wimp at primary school, but nowadays though she herself isn’t what I’d call a wimp exactly, the roles have slightly reversed in that I’m probably the more stable and stronger out of the two of us. I hope we shall continue as friends for the next 50 years, and I want her to know that I’m insanely jealous of the fact that the ageing process as been very kind to her, as she still looks as if she’s in her 30s.

N IS FOR NICOTINE

This noxious substance is the only chemical thing I am totally addicted to. OK, I am addicted to the internet, but that doesn’t cause me to set fire to bits of a plant rolled in paper and inhale the fumes. I am unable to use nicotine replacement therapies as although I can smoke like Fag Ash Lil, I’m actually allergic to nicotine patches, sprays, gums etc. Smoking is something I sincerely wish I’d never have started, but I’ve almost driven myself screechingly insane many times in my life during bouts of attempting to quit. It’s a habit I’m stuck with, but I feel it’s in the long run (so long as I keep it to myself and within my own four walls) less harmful than having a full-blown alcohol dependency. Some people from my family have had quite severe problems with alcohol, and not one of them even managed to reach their mid-50s, but those who smoked – some very heavily – all lived well into their 80s, with one making it to his late 90s.

O IS FOR ORANGES

For most of my life I’ve hated the things, but in the past couple of years I’ve developed a deep respect for and powerful urge to eat at least 3 oranges a day. Maybe my body is crying out for vitamin C? I don’t think so, because I eat masses of a very wide range of fresh and frozen vegetables on a daily basis. I’ve no idea why I almost overnight have begun to crave oranges and in a way, I’m sorry about it as citrus fruits are bad for my arthritis.

P IS FOR PROCRASTINATION

I believe procrastination is a skill, not a fault. I can’t see the point in doing something which I don’t want to do unless and until I absolutely have to. When I’m forced into what I’ve been procrastinating about by deadlines or similar, I find I then do it more quickly and more accurately.

Q IS FOR QUORN

I hate the stinky stuff with the earthy, almost mouldy under-taste. If ever I go through one of my vegetarian phases, I never use meat substitutes such as soya, tofu or Quorn. I prefer to take my protein from things like beans (as they come out of the packet or tin, unadulterated) and lentils, as to me they taste a lot nicer.

R IS FOR REDUNDANCY

I managed to make mine work for me, after a short initial period of worry. Despite being very skilled in my occupational field as it was then, I was unable to find another job. I went for many interviews, only to be bypassed for somebody less experienced, but younger and more beautiful. Not easily thwarted and once my first flurry of panic was over, I used the energy from it, took the bull by the horns, and am now self-employed working from home. OK I barely earn a third of what I used to, but I’m not a materialistic person and I enjoy the virtually stress-free lifestyle I now have, even if cash does get very tight at times.

S IS FOR SANGRIA

One of my ideas of perfect relaxation is to sit outside a small street café on a hot and dusty day in the unspoiled part of northern Majorca, enjoying doing absolutely nothing – watching the world go by, whilst quaffing several large jugs of sangria. I’ve yet to find anybody outside of Spain and its islands who can make sangria taste exactly as it should.

T IS FOR TABU

After Aqua Manda, this is the stuff I used to most douse myself with in the very early 1970s. People were increasingly abandoning places like Hastings, Blackpool, Skegness and Brighton, and were in their droves going on package holidays to Spain, Majorca, Ibiza and Italy. I could be almost certain that anyone I knew who’d ventured off to Spain or the Balearics would bring me back a huge bottle of Tabu. It smelled like shoe polish, but when you’re a naïve 17-year-old, you think some pretty strange things are cool – well, I did!

U IS FOR ULULATE

This is one of those emittances from the English language you can really get your tongue and vocal chords around, almost seeing those loops and spools….which is my own subjective impression of what to me is an extremely interesting and hardly used word.

V IS FOR VERA

Vera was my mother’s name. OK it’s a name pretty exclusive to her own generation and had a short spell of being in fashion in a similar way to how everybody was calling their baby girls names like Tracy, Sharon and Donna in the late 1950s/early 1960s, but despite it now probably being thought of as dated, I think it’s a very nice name – it has a touch of mystery about it. To appreciate the name’s attractiveness, it must be thought of with complete objectivity.

W IS FOR WEIRD

People who know me think I’m weird, but I am truly of the impression I’m pretty normal. I do have a bit of a problem though with those who advertise themselves as weird, because whenever I get to know them, I usually find they are anything but weird – in fact, I frequently find that they are rather bland and tedious!

X IS FOR X-RAY

Aside from at the dentist, an X-ray is something I’ve never had! I’m not complaining; merely I think that to have reached the age I am without ever having any reason for a non-dental X-ray, is quite a feat.

Y IS FOR YELLOW

As far back as I can remember, and my earliest memory is of sitting in my high chair being fed scrambled egg for breakfast on my 1st birthday, I have been drawn to the colour yellow. Some people strangely find it depressing, but any shade of yellow instantly lifts my mood and makes me feel sunshiny and positive.

Z IS FOR ZODIAC RING

I have been wearing a silver Gemini zodiac ring on the little finger of my right hand since the age of about 12. I bought the ring in a Southend shop called Africa Arts and it cost 1/6d (equivalent to about 8p in today’s money) and it’s I suppose sort of grown with me. I think if I were to lose this ring I’d feel as though part of myself had irretrievably vanished. Me and my zodiac ring have seen a lot of water sometimes rush and sometimes gently flow under the bridge of life, and we are the best of friends.

Well that’s my latest piece of self-indulgence over and done with. I do warn though that it isn’t the last, because I have scoured the topics in Ciao’s café and seen a lot in there that I can really let my hair down with, as time goes by. So, if you weren’t overly bored by all of the above, watch this space!

Thanks for reading!

• danielclark691 published 18/11/2016
    interesting
  • carcraig published 01/02/2010
    I'm a knitter, who can't stand Big Brother or Quorn!
  • Violet1278 published 01/02/2010
    A fantastic review and very interesting! Glad you have avoided Xrays-very dangerous they can be in any quantity.E from me.x

Product Information : A-Z for Members Challenges

Listed on Ciao since: 18/09/2003

A-Z for Members Challenges - Review - Yet another journey into the mind of CelticSoulSister
Home > Ciao Caf > Members' Picks > A-Z for Members Challenges > Reviews

CelticSou... 4

CelticSoulSister

About me: Thanks heartily for all the r/r/c to everyone. If it appears that I've not rated you, it most likely will be due to having used up all your reviews and am waiting for your next publication. Also I've disabled receiving alerts via email for a good reason.

Member since:25.10.2009

Yet another journey into the mind of CelticSoulSister

28.01.2010

Advantages:
As usual, the opportunity to talk about my favourite subject

Disadvantages:
It might be boring to others !

58 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Violet1278
  2. anwar
  3. Praski
  1. danielclark691
  2. cornishchic
  3. Soho_Black

I did complete one of these A-Z Of Me type things in my early DooYoo days, and I made it largely age-orientated, but I feel for Ciao Id like to take a different and perhaps more random stance for my current personal A-Z.

As I sit here with a blank page in front of me, I have little or no idea what will emerge, but lets get my brain in gear and see whats tumbling around in there tonight. I probably will end up surprising myself!

A IS FOR ANGELS

If one more person emails me that infernal Money Angel or that rather nasty Angel who promises to bestow all sorts of dire catastrophes upon my life if I dont forward it to at least 10,000 people, I shant be responsible for my actions. Listen please world! Each time you send me these things, I do NOT open them! They get instantly deleted and blitzed to my email rubbish bin. Save yourself the trouble, eh?

B IS FOR BIG BROTHER

C IS FOR CHIPPLES

Whatever happened to those lovely, crunchy little sticks of potato which I remember from the mid-1960s? They came in a blue and red bag and looked like headless matchsticks, were quite salty, but truly delicious I used to buy a huge-sized packet for a mere 2d in the tuck shop opposite the gates of my secondary school, and the contents would last from assembly, right through double maths, then English literature followed by Social Studies, nicely up to lunch time.

D IS FOR DRIVERS SEAT

Quite a lot of people claim Drivers Seat by Flash & The Pan (released in 1979) to be their all-time favourite single, so why didnt it make the UK top 40? Maybe its out of the bag of those one-off all-time classic gems that nobody ever buys, but wishes they had? I wont say its my out & out favourite single, but its definitely fairly high up in my all-time top 50.

E IS FOR ECLECTIC

Eclectic is what my musical taste can be described as. I love rock & roll, blues, jazz, classical, some opera, R&B, singer/songwriter, good chart pop from the 1960s/1970s and early 1980s, piano boogie-woogie, Irish folk, Celtic soul, Northern soul, Motown, 1960s black soul, 1960s and early 1970s prog rock, doo-wop, and quite a bit more that doesnt fall into any particular category.

F IS FOR FLU

It frustrates me that when some people merely have ordinary colds, they claim its flu. Have they ever truly had flu before? If so, theyd realise there are marked differences between the two maladays. Flu comes on very quickly, sometimes within a matter of a few minutes first youre OK then youre not whereas the incubation period for an ordinary cold is I believe something like 48 hours. Nasal emissions on the first day of a cold are of a thicker consistency than with fluif you have flu, its like someones turned a tap on inside your head and the water is escaping out of your nose. You can generally, even though its uncomfortable, function with a cold with flu, youre so wiped out and weak that you can hardly get out of bed. Yes, you can feel achy and shivery at the outset of a cold, but with flu your whole body will be gripped with shivering fits as violent as those experienced by a heroin addict in the worst stages of cold turkey. You might go off your food a bit with a cold, but with flu the thought of food can make you throw up! Youll recover from a cold within a few days, but flu can knock the stuffing out of you for several weeks. Can YOU tell the difference?

G IS FOR GRANDPARENTS

Apart from a fairly misty memory of my lovely grandfather from Aberdeen coming to stay with us when I was aged about 3, I never knew my grandparents. My maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother both died before I was born, and my maternal grandmother died when I was a small baby. Id love to have warm and cosy memories of doting grandparents, but I only have those vague, fleeting, hazy ones of my paternal grandfather showing me a book about trains while I was perched on his knee, taking me for walks in the park and me sitting with him on a wooden bench outside a pub on Southends seafront me with an orange squash and a packet of arrowroot biscuits, and he with a pint of Guinness. There was a huge family row and he fled back to Scotland, never to be seen or heard by us until in 1963 when the news broke of his untimely death from a heart attack.

H IS FOR HILARITY

Im one of these people who hardly ever laughs out loud or heartily, but on the rare occasion that something really slams into my humour spot, I then cant stop laughing, sometimes for hours on end.

I IS FOR ICE CREAM

During the summer months, I go into panic mode if my freezer isnt chockerblock with gallons of the stuff but, it must be luxury or semi-luxury brands, otherwise Im not impressed. I find that nothing cools me down more on a scorching hot day than a massive tub of delicious ice cream. OK its loaded with fat and calories, but then so am I!!

J IS FOR JOHNNY

Johnny H was a really lovely guy who back in the late 1950s, was my dads best friend. He was a bit of an Arthur Daley type character he even wore the hat! Johnny was a very frequent visitor to our house, and he always without fail would bring me round a spearmint flavoured ice lolly then hed sit and blow my mind (well, I was only about 4) with these truly amazing card tricks. Sadly Johnny died in the early 1970s, and although wed long since by that time lost touch, I never stopped thinking about him and how nice he was to me.

K IS FOR KNITTING

Though I dont have time to do any knitting these days, its something Ive always found very therapeutic and relaxing. My mum taught me to knit when I was very very young I think I could knit before I could read and I used to make little squares for women at our local church, whod sew them into blankets and send them to deprived children in third world countries. Its very irritating to have someone else with me while Im knitting, and I have lots of memories of, when I was married, my ex forever choosing the very moment that I was counting stitches or concentrating on a complex pattern, to begin an in-depth discussion about life, the universe and everything.

L IS FOR LIGHTNING

Not something I want to go into too much description of, as I wrote a lot about it in one of my DooYoo pieces.but I will re-assert here that its my greatest fear, of truly phobic proportions. I fail to understand why others think lightning is something I shouldnt be terrified of, as to me its quite logical to fear massive bolts of electricity striking at random out of the sky. Also, assurances such as youre more likely to have a huge win on the lottery than get struck by lightning dont help in the least, as in recent years that has been proved to be statistically untrue. Why on earth cant this massive energy force somehow be harnessed and put to good use?

M IS FOR MARIA

Maria is my longest-standing friend. Through the passage of time, although we have had gaps where there has been no contact between us, weve known one another since 1959 when we were both aged 5, and weve always on meeting up again managed to pick up where we left off. Maria used to look after me when I was a wimp at primary school, but nowadays though she herself isnt what Id call a wimp exactly, the roles have slightly reversed in that Im probably the more stable and stronger out of the two of us. I hope we shall continue as friends for the next 50 years, and I want her to know that Im insanely jealous of the fact that the ageing process as been very kind to her, as she still looks as if shes in her 30s.

N IS FOR NICOTINE

This noxious substance is the only chemical thing I am totally addicted to. OK, I am addicted to the internet, but that doesnt cause me to set fire to bits of a plant rolled in paper and inhale the fumes. I am unable to use nicotine replacement therapies as although I can smoke like Fag Ash Lil, Im actually allergic to nicotine patches, sprays, gums etc. Smoking is something I sincerely wish Id never have started, but Ive almost driven myself screechingly insane many times in my life during bouts of attempting to quit. Its a habit Im stuck with, but I feel its in the long run (so long as I keep it to myself and within my own four walls) less harmful than having a full-blown alcohol dependency. Some people from my family have had quite severe problems with alcohol, and not one of them even managed to reach their mid-50s, but those who smoked some very heavily all lived well into their 80s, with one making it to his late 90s.

O IS FOR ORANGES

For most of my life Ive hated the things, but in the past couple of years Ive developed a deep respect for and powerful urge to eat at least 3 oranges a day. Maybe my body is crying out for vitamin C? I dont think so, because I eat masses of a very wide range of fresh and frozen vegetables on a daily basis. Ive no idea why I almost overnight have begun to crave oranges and in a way, Im sorry about it as citrus fruits are bad for my arthritis.

P IS FOR PROCRASTINATION

I believe procrastination is a skill, not a fault. I cant see the point in doing something which I dont want to do unless and until I absolutely have to. When Im forced into what Ive been procrastinating about by deadlines or similar, I find I then do it more quickly and more accurately.

Q IS FOR QUORN

R IS FOR REDUNDANCY

I managed to make mine work for me, after a short initial period of worry. Despite being very skilled in my occupational field as it was then, I was unable to find another job. I went for many interviews, only to be bypassed for somebody less experienced, but younger and more beautiful. Not easily thwarted and once my first flurry of panic was over, I used the energy from it, took the bull by the horns, and am now self-employed working from home. OK I barely earn a third of what I used to, but Im not a materialistic person and I enjoy the virtually stress-free lifestyle I now have, even if cash does get very tight at times.

S IS FOR SANGRIA

One of my ideas of perfect relaxation is to sit outside a small street caf on a hot and dusty day in the unspoiled part of northern Majorca, enjoying doing absolutely nothing watching the world go by, whilst quaffing several large jugs of sangria. Ive yet to find anybody outside of Spain and its islands who can make sangria taste exactly as it should.

T IS FOR TABU

After Aqua Manda, this is the stuff I used to most douse myself with in the very early 1970s. People were increasingly abandoning places like Hastings, Blackpool, Skegness and Brighton, and were in their droves going on package holidays to Spain, Majorca, Ibiza and Italy. I could be almost certain that anyone I knew whod ventured off to Spain or the Balearics would bring me back a huge bottle of Tabu. It smelled like shoe polish, but when youre a nave 17-year-old, you think some pretty strange things are cool well, I did!

U IS FOR ULULATE

This is one of those emittances from the English language you can really get your tongue and vocal chords around, almost seeing those loops and spools.which is my own subjective impression of what to me is an extremely interesting and hardly used word.

V IS FOR VERA

Vera was my mothers name. OK its a name pretty exclusive to her own generation and had a short spell of being in fashion in a similar way to how everybody was calling their baby girls names like Tracy, Sharon and Donna in the late 1950s/early 1960s, but despite it now probably being thought of as dated, I think its a very nice name it has a touch of mystery about it. To appreciate the names attractiveness, it must be thought of with complete objectivity.

W IS FOR WEIRD

People who know me think Im weird, but I am truly of the impression Im pretty normal. I do have a bit of a problem though with those who advertise themselves as weird, because whenever I get to know them, I usually find they are anything but weird in fact, I frequently find that they are rather bland and tedious!

X IS FOR X-RAY

Aside from at the dentist, an X-ray is something Ive never had! Im not complaining; merely I think that to have reached the age I am without ever having any reason for a non-dental X-ray, is quite a feat.

Y IS FOR YELLOW

Z IS FOR ZODIAC RING

I have been wearing a silver Gemini zodiac ring on the little finger of my right hand since the age of about 12. I bought the ring in a Southend shop called Africa Arts and it cost 1/6d (equivalent to about 8p in todays money) and its I suppose sort of grown with me. I think if I were to lose this ring Id feel as though part of myself had irretrievably vanished. Me and my zodiac ring have seen a lot of water sometimes rush and sometimes gently flow under the bridge of life, and we are the best of friends.

Well thats my latest piece of self-indulgence over and done with. I do warn though that it isnt the last, because I have scoured the topics in Ciaos caf and seen a lot in there that I can really let my hair down with, as time goes by. So, if you werent overly bored by all of the above, watch this space!

Thanks for reading!

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

danielclark691 18.11.2016 14:04

interesting

carcraig 01.02.2010 23:16

I'm a knitter, who can't stand Big Brother or Quorn!

Violet1278 01.02.2010 19:38