Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain

Review of "Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain"

published 17/12/2015 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Pro High quality, protective sleeve, hardened steel chain.
Cons Quite heavy

"Abus 8mm Hardened Security Chain"

First impressions

I am confident in the Abus brand when it comes to providing high quality security solutions. You might think that I am a security freak as I have covered a fair number of security locks, chains and other measures to deter a would-be thief from targeting my belongings. The fact is, if you deter a thief from stealing from you then they will move on to an easier target, though you cannot blame me for wanting to protect myself from suffering at the hands of these people.

Here we have another Abus branded product. I own a number of their padlocks and find the quality to be very high. I have always noticed that their products are built to a high standard, though the pricing is not too expensive either.

For your money you are getting an 85cm long hardened steel chain which is wrapped in a fabric sleeve to protect your bike from damage, either during an attack or just during day to day use. The black fabric is very durable and feels like it will be able to endure the typical British weather. The Abus branding is clearly stamped onto the fabric and the chain is hidden away, though towards the ends you can see the 8mm thick chain peeking out at you.

My experience

The Abus Hardened Security Chain is available in three thicknesses. Here we have the 8mm thick metal chain, though you can buy a 10mm or 12mm thick chain if you are very security conscious. I think that if someone is determined to steal something and cut the chain then they will have to have a special tool, so I opted for the 8mm thick chain as it is a bit cheaper and crucially also a lot lighter than the heavyweights in the range.

This chain is just 85cm in length but you do not need a long chain most of the time. Also, as the chain is not too long it is lighter than if this chain was over a metre long, for example. You have to be able to get reasonably close to whatever you wish to chain your bike to, but to be honest it is always advised that you clamp the bike to a railing or very secure post at close quarters, so as to deter anyone from damaging the bike.

The fabric covering the chain has a luxurious feel to it. It is not padded but it looks the part, and you wouldn’t want it to be too thick anyway because it would only retain water if it was and in the British weather this could be a problem and add further weight to your journey.

Looking at the chain overall I would say that this one is of fine quality. I have never had any issues with the chain rusting, though you must use your own padlock and this is actually a positive in my opinion. This means that you can carefully select your own high quality padlock to suit your needs, and you are not tied to purchasing an Abus branded padlock if you do not wish to.

Using this cbain on a daily basis is not something I am used to. I use the chain every few weeks and it serves me well. I think that if I used it in all weathers then it could show signs of wear, especially on the fabric covering. This is not the case though, and I have not had a single problem with the quality or practicality of this chain from Abus.

Price and availability

Priced up at just £20 for this 85cm long, this Abus 8Mks Hardened steel chain offers good value for money to the hard up student along with superb security. You will find this chain available online, though look out for free postage options as this is a heavy item so postage could be quite high. You could try to find one at a local bike store, though I cannot see prices being any lower.

Final thoughts

I am impressed with Abus once again. I would find it hard to pick fault with anything on this product. The fabric covering looks the part and serves a useful purpose. The chain is thick enough, though you could opt for a thicker chain if you so wished. Abus are experts in this field and it shows. This is a very affordable and great value for money security chain that will last you for many years if taken care of.

• GeorgieH1994 published 03/01/2016
    vh
  • euphie published 17/12/2015
    vh :o)
  • catsholiday published 17/12/2015
    Great review

Product Information : Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain

Chain links produced from a hardened special chain steel, designed to protect against all types of attack.A fabric sleeve prevents the paintwork and chrome from damage.Where to use it: e.g. securing bicycles, motorbikes, gardening

Long Name: 8Mks Hardened Security Chain

Type: Security Chain/Cable

EAN: 4003318272950; 4003318285097; 4003318272943

Manufacturer: Abus

Listed on Ciao since: 19/02/2009

Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain - Review - Abus 8mm Hardened Security Chain

danielcla... 5

danielclark691

About me: Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.

Member since:27.02.2011

Abus 8mm Hardened Security Chain

17.12.2015

Advantages:
High quality, protective sleeve, hardened steel chain .

Disadvantages:
Quite heavy

28 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  2. davidhowell15
  3. GeorgieH1994

First impressions

My experience

The fabric covering the chain has a luxurious feel to it. It is not padded but it looks the part, and you wouldnt want it to be too thick anyway because it would only retain water if it was and in the British weather this could be a problem and add further weight to your journey.

Price and availability

Priced up at just 20 for this 85cm long, this Abus 8Mks Hardened steel chain offers good value for money to the hard up student along with superb security. You will find this chain available online, though look out for free postage options as this is a heavy item so postage could be quite high. You could try to find one at a local bike store, though I cannot see prices being any lower.

Final thoughts

Pictures of Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain
Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain $_57 (7) - Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain
Abus 8Mks Hardened Security Chain

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 0.5p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 0.5p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this reviews content

GeorgieH1994 03.01.2016 14:46