Acer AL2216W 22 in

Acer AL2216W 22 in

Review of "Acer AL2216W 22 in"

published 05/02/2008 | nemesis2004
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Large size, good response rate, great quality
Cons Cannot rotate, no DVI
Picture quality
Image Size in relation to tube size
Colour sensitivity
Design

"A perfect upgrade"

Acer AL2216W

I'm one of those people who find it hard to live without the latest gear when it comes to computers, but I'm also really cautious when it comes to managing a budget. I tend to save up a few hundred pounds every few months and blow it all on upgrading my PC. My PC is to me, what a brand new Golf GT Sport is to a boy racer.

The latest upgrade to empty my bank balance is a brand new 22" Widescreen TFT monitor - the Acer AL2216W. I've had my heart set on a new monitor for a while now - even though my old one is a 19" conventional TFT - and the choice to go widescreen wasn't really a difficult one. What frustrated me about my old monitor was that most streams, TV broadcasts and DVDs are in widescreen format, and on a 4:3 monitor this leaves two very unappealing black bars that engulf the top and bottom of the screen. In this era of rich multimedia experiences, if your intention is to go with a large monitor - as is more and more common now with the advances in technology and drop in cost - the only way to go is widescreen.

After shopping around, there were a few reasons I settled on this particular model. I'd learnt my lesson from previous monitor and TV purchases, and I knew that buying from the internet alone was a bad idea. I decided that the best way to really see which monitor excelled was to see them side by side, first hand. I jotted down a couple of stores that had this monitor in stock - along with some other contenders - and hit the high street.

When I got the chance to see the various models that fell in my budget side by side, I noticed that the AL2216W really stood out from the others. The monitor seemed to be a lot more robust and sturdy and despite being the thinnest on offer by few millimetres, the overall build quality was noticeably better than the others.

I was sold when I saw the picture quality whilst the monitor was playing a blu-ray film. Even though it falls short of what some would consider "True HD", being only a VGA input rather than DVI and having a maximum resolution of 1680x1050, it was better than any other monitor of it's size I'd seen before and certainly wowed me over the improvement in quality to what I was used to with my old Samsung monitor. The 700:1 contrast ratio really showed, with some others only having 500:1. The monitor has a 5ms response rate, and whilst gamers might want better from their monitor, it really hasn't effected me at all and it still a pretty good rate.

Connecting the monitor to the PC was easy, and even though I had to use a DVI-> VGA adapter to get it to plug into my graphics card, it was a painless procedure. Windows immediately detected the monitor and helped set it to it's optimum resolution. I connected my old monitor to the second display connector on my graphics card, and Windows also detected this and extended my desktop to cover both the screens. I find having the space of two screens improves my productivity even more than having a large widescreen!

On the bottom of the monitor itself there are buttons by which you can change the obvious settings such as OSD language, brightness, contrast, colour profiles and presets. There are five preset options which you can change by pressing the 'AUTO' button. These are: User, Text, Graphics, Standard and Movie. By selecting these, you can quickly adjust the settings of the monitor to suit the type of media being displayed.

So after all these good points, you must be thinking that there are some negatives... and you're right! The lack of DVI is a shame, since I can't help think that VGA is a dying standard in favour of the higher bandwidth alternatives that are DVI and in turn, HDMI. The monitor base, whilst it does its job, doesn't offer a lot of range and the monitor lacks the ability to be rotated or mounted on the stand at a 90 degree angle. This would be highly useful for editing A4 documents, which in any other case would see large portions of the left and right of the screen put to little use.

Overall, the monitor is certainly a good buy. It was the best 22" monitor I could find for under £200 at the time, and I wouldn't have any problems buying from Acer again. Two months down the line and the monitor has only developed one lit pixel, which is so small and discreet, I'm not sure if it was there when I bought the monitor and hadn't noticed. Other than that, I find it difficult to fault and therefore I highly recommend for anyone looking to upgrade on a budget.

• lisalou2020 published 14/11/2014
    Good review
  • Leigh36295 published 25/03/2008
    Great Review.
  • cobainkurdt published 19/03/2008
    Interesting review!

Product Information : Acer AL2216W 22 in

The Acer AL2216W is the essence of versatile productivity, bringing to the professional office and media world the perfect combination of high definition performance within a slim design Format for the ultimate viewing experience. The AL2216W combines the latest Widescreen Panel technology, efficient lean design with full consideration of high Display Performance per pixel, this is an irresistible opportunity to join the widescreen trend for PC Displays. Visualize brilliant Video Streams without quality loss thanks to the rapid response time, the superior contrast ratio and brilliant color with crisp results for media and data applications. Supporting a modern aspect ratio of 16: 10, professional office users and media lovers can view multiple applications simultaneously on-screen for perfect efficiency, the AL2216W also supports the Windows Vista browsing features and toolbars for enhanced user experience and productivity. To support this intensive usage the AL2216W is complemented by the excellent wide viewing angle of 170° and optimal pixel per inch of 90.2 (PPI) for best Display Ergonomics in professional and homework environments. The AL2216W provides the ideal technical features required for multi-tasking and image precision, the intelligent 22" widescreen display also supports the latest operation systems, which require high definition pixel per inch for specialized professional applications. The AL2216W is truly a cost-effective solution driving versatile performance for media lovers and professional business environments.

Product Description: Acer AL2216W - LCD monitor - 22", Acer AL2216WB - LCD monitor - 22", Acer AL2216WBsd - LCD monitor - 22", Acer AL2216WD - LCD monitor - 22"

Device Type: LCD monitor - 22"

Panel Type: PVA, TN

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 16:10

Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz

Pixel Pitch: 0.282 mm

Brightness: 300 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio: 700:1, 2500:1 (dynamic), 700:1 / 2500:1 (dynamic)

Response Time: 5 ms, 5

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 16:10

Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz

Pixel Pitch: 0.282 mm

Brightness: 300 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio: 700:1, 2500:1 (dynamic), 700:1 / 2500:1 (dynamic)

Colour Support: 16.2 million colours

Colour: Silver, Black, silver

Dimensions (WxDxH): 51.4 cm x 19.8 cm x 40.6 cm

Weight: 4.8 kg

Features: Acer Adaptive Contrast Management (ACM), iKey

Controls & Adjustments: Brightness, contrast, H/V position, colour balance, phase

Connectivity

Interfaces: 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI

Mechanical

Display Position Adjustments: Tilt

Flat Panel Mount Interface: 100 x 100 mm

Miscellaneous

Cables Included: 1 x VGA cable, 1 x VGA cable ¦ 1 x DVI cable

Certified for Windows Vista: Certified for Windows Vista software and devices have undergone compatibility tests for ease-of-use, better performance and enhanced security.

Compliant Standards: TCO '03, DDC-2B

Features: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), wall mountable

Power

Power Supply: Internal

Voltage Required: AC 120/230 V, AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Power Consumption Operational: 55 Watt

Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep: 2 Watt

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 3 years warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 3 years, Limited warranty - 3 years - pick-up and return

Listed on Ciao since: 08/11/2006