Acer Aspire 6920G

Acer Aspire 6920G

Review of "Acer Aspire 6920G"

published 23/09/2008 | p.milbanke

• Media controls
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Microsoft Vista
How it performs
I've had the system about 6 weeks now and have to say I'm incredibly impressed with the hardware.
It looks great, is a little lighter than my previous Dell (despite the larger size) and feels very sturdy.
The Core 2 and large memory give great performance and despite running numerous packages at once (internet, mail, office, image manipulation, msn, etc) it never seems to struggle or slow at all (even when I decided to add my entire music collection from external drive and pop it straight into iTunes while doing everything else).
Personal opinions
At first I thought the off-centre keyboard (due to the media controls to the left of it) would cause me some problems, but I got used to it very quickly, helped in part by the soft touch. What is still taking me a bit of getting used to is the 'slide control' for the volume, which feels more step than slide.
The built in wireless is so far flawless, having not had a single dip, or drop-out, despite many hours of internet use. I've not yet given it a range test but it manages very well indoors.
The HD screen, Blue-ray and 5.1 are perfect for movies, although I do have some occasional problems with output from the sub, and I've not been able to switch from 1366x768 to 1920x1080, but I strongly suspect these are Vista issues rather than hardware ones.
My only bitch
...is nothing to do with Acer, but is instead the dreaded Microsoft and their afwul Vista. I don't think I've ever used an operating system that has so many bugs and problems (and I remember programming a ZX81!).
So much of the included software (whose XP versions worked very well) is bug ridden. Even my old favourite of Windows Media Player has been dumped in favour of iTunes (a swap I never thought I would do).
A final word
The hardware guys are coming up with some amazing equipment these days and are being seriously let down by the 'industry leaders' in software. Sort it out Microsoft!
Acer, keep up the excellent work and let's hope it is indeed as sturdy as it feels, and lasts as long (or longer) than the old Dell.

• lml888v published 25/09/2008
    Welcome. Super 1st review. My daughter just bought a laptop from this range (lower spec. I think but with integrated webcam) and she is quite happy so far.
  • majeedkazi published 24/09/2008
    Hi, Welcome to Ciao.....
  • manlybeach published 24/09/2008
    Very good first review and nice and easy to read. Welcome to ciao