Review of "Adam London, Las Vegas"

published 04/06/2013 | 87degrees
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Light-hearted laughter"

I recently went on a holiday to the States with my parents and our first stop was Vegas. We decided to see a couple of shows while we were there and started off with a relatively cheap afternoon show - on the grounds that jetlag might make an evening show challenging to stay awake for.

We looked at various options and went for Adam London (partly because of the name) who was listed as a comedy magician. He had a short show at a hotel called D in downtown Las Vegas. It cost us about $30 dollars a ticket. We booked our tickets in advance but we needn't have bothered because there were only about a dozen people in the audience.

The room was set up with tables set around a small stage. The entire audience fitted on a couple of tables near right next to the stage, so everyone had an excellent view.

I'm not sure if Adam London was disappointed with the turn-out, but he made it part of the fun. He joked about the size of the audience and was able to interact with us in a way that made it feel very intimate. About half the audience at various points were part of the show, whether engaged in banter, helping with tricks or tossing a rubber duck around (don't ask!). The small size made it feel a lot more relaxed and I think helped the "helpers" feel less self-conscious, so it was a lot of fun all round.

The comedy part was definitely more in evidence than the magic. There were a few magic tricks, but mostly simple slight-of-hand pieces that were easy to work out. If the show had been just about the magic, I would have been disappointed. However, the comedy made it worthwhile. There was a mixture of stand-up and audience engagement that had us all laughing.

My favourite moment was actually when an audience member's phone went off. He came off the stage and answered the phone for her and talking to her husband in a way that had us all laughing our heads off - and the poor woman both laughing and embarrassed. It was clearly improvised but he handled it very well.

The show lasted about an hour and was a lot of fun. A good choice for when you're still trying to get over your jetlag.

Product Information : Adam London, Las Vegas