PetiteLib... 2

PetiteLibertine

Member since:01.01.1970

Agencies don't seem to like students!

27.07.2003

Advantages:
Great for long term temp work

Disadvantages:
They don't like students !

Recommendable No:

8 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. rolletrog
  2. salem_witch
  3. bubblegum_princess
  1. law3
  2. Lizard_Lover

Ok, I'm not saying all Adecco offices are this bad, I'm sure most are really great and helpful, but the one I went to this summer to try and find work over the university summer holiday was rubbish!

I thought, hmm, Adecco, they're a top name in recruitment, I bet they could help me find work. How wrong I was. I first registered online with Adecco in late May, ages before the end of term, so that I would be ahead of the student job-hunting rush. A friendly woman called me back a few days later, asked me what sort of work I was after, and when I was available. As soon as I said "I'm available from the end of June till the end of September", she warily asked "are you a student?". Yes, I said. "Ok, well I'll give you a call if we get any work for you".
That was the last I ever heard from Adecco.

A few weeks later, when the holidays had started and I was back in my home town looking for work, I passed the Adecco office in the street and noticed an advert in their window saying "WANTED - LONG AND SHORT TERM SECRETARIAL AND DATA ENTRY STAFF". Short term work, perfect! I haven't got any office experience, but I have had my typing speeds tested and came out with 55 words per minute, and I can use a computer, what student can't these days?

So I called into the office and enquired about the advert. "What advert?" the lady on the desk rudely barked at me. "The one in your window" I replied. She made me actually get out of my chair and point to the exact advert before she believed me. "Oh, well we'll have to change the wording on that, I'm afraid we don't get much short-term temporary work".

So, disheartened and a bit cheesed off with this woman's attitude, I went on my merry way to continue the job hunt.

A week later and I still hadn't found a job, so whilst out in town I again walked past the Adecco office. The advert which Rude Woman said needed to be re-worded was still there, along with a new advert emblazoned with the words "URGENTLY REQUIRED - SHORT-TERM TEMPORARY WORKERS NEEDED IN THIS AREA FOR IMMEDIATE START!" Was I seeing things?? And wasn't Adecco supposed to call me when suitable work came up?

So into the office I went. Fortunately Rude Woman was busy with another client so I spoke to a nicer woman, the temporary consultant (whom I should've spoken to before). She informed me that there was no point in me registering (not giving me the chance to explain tht I had actually already registered) since thy already had enough students on their roll. She prepared to turn me away, adding the throwaway comment, "We only take on new students if they have excellent computer skills". At which point, before I was practicallybooted out the door, I explained that I had, in fact, got excellent keyboard and computer-package skills as my whole degree course revolves around computers! At this she quite embarrassedly muttered "Oh" and asked me to send her my CV.

Even two weeks after that I still haven't heard anything from Adecco. Fortunately I also signed up with Brook Street who were extremely helpful and found me a temporary secretarial position within a few days.

So my top tips for students who try Adecco...
1) Don't take no for an answer. If you register and they don't call you, pester them with phone calls.
2) Make sure you tell them what skills and experience you have, in person as well as on your CV.
3) Try, if possible, when registering, to get an appointment with the Temporary Consultant, not just a random member of staff
4) Sign up with other agencies to increase your chance of finding employment
5) Don't hold out much hope for Adecco, especially if you're a student!

vikstar 28.07.2003 22:46

I really hate anti-student behaviour...surely there's far more students after temporary work than anyone else...why shouldn't we be treated equally. After all, we probably have the same skills as non-student people. Good luck! Keep us up to date with the adecco situation.x

Calypte 28.07.2003 18:51

To be perfectly honest, I never found a single agency that was any use to me - and I'm talking about AFTER I was a student, had a degree, and still couldn't find a job. I was constantly being told that I would be 'lucky' to get salaries that were well below any from the jobs I finally went for - and in the end, got. If you can ever avoid agengies it's for the best, imo!

Lizard_Lover 27.07.2003 20:02

I'd never heard of Adecco before reading this, and now know I'd never bother signing up with them! It's disgusting the way you were treated and their treatment of students in general stinks!