Adecco.co.uk

Office personnel/Consultants
Consultant feedback time
Range of prospective employers
Flexibility of office hours

"Temporary jobs very spontaneous"

Hi,

I just saw that here are already several opinions on the temporary job agency addeco. However, I was gaining some experiences with them within the last month and would like you to read my opinion and experiences.

When I started looking for a temporary job I just went into the centre of Lougborough with my CV in my pocket to look out for agencies. The first one I saw was Addecco.

My first impression was quite good. There was a nice woman sitting in there, asking me to fill in a questionnaire, asking me, what kind of work I was looking for (administration, clerical assistance) and took all the notes. She called the agency in an other town close still whilst I was there to announce, there would be a new girl, looking for a job. I was quite pleased and confident, they could help me. I didn't have a bank account and a temporary NI number yet, but I got both the next day and handed it in as requested.

Only few days later in the very early morning, I got a phone call: "We would have a reception job today. Can you come immediately, I tell you were to go. It is only for one day. Is that okay for you?" I agreed, catched the next bus and went to the agency. When I arrived, she was pleased to see me and made a really irritating comment: "I'll just check, if the job is still free. Oh sorry, they gave it already to someone else." I did agree on the job before and it took me only 20 minutes to rush there. But well, it can happen, I thought.

The next day, I got another phone call: "I have a job for you. Can you come now?" Luckily I was write enough to ask what kind of job it would be. Offloading a truck during the evening and night... I am a very small and thin girl without a car... I might not be the right person.

When a collegue of her called me a week later to ask where I would be as they would wait for me at the interview, the woman I met first, would have agreed for me, I gave up. She never told me anything about. It would have been a half-day job for which I would have needed to travel 1 hour by bus. I wouldn't have agreed to anyway.

Summary: I stop trying to work with them and relate on other agencies. Probably, it was just bad luck and one not too good consultant, but it was still irritating.

But now a bit more a neutral summary:

They look for you for permanent and temporary jobs, but obviously have their focus on the temporary side. Contraire to most other agencies I didn't have to participate in any tests. I just filled in a form with my personal data and experiences and was registered (with a copy of the agreement) after 20 Minutes.

They reacted very fast. Started looking immediately for a job for me and kept in regular contact.

They seem to focus more on very short term assignments, as I was only proposed jobs for 1 or 2 days.

My tip in general: don't just trust in one agency. I am registered with at least 8 and it's usually always Gill Cooke, J.R. Personnel and Pertemps who are in contact with me.

From Adecco I heard never again, after I asked them to check with me before agreeing to an interview for me which I think, was a fair request.

Well, that's all I can say about them. I never really experienced what it means having a job with them.

• elkiedee published 11/12/2003
    All agencies mess you about particularly when you're new. Most agencies will offer you something else if you get through the first assignment ok, but if they've not used you before to do work for them they'll only offer you something when their regular temps aren't available or don't have the skills.
  • Sethiroth published 25/10/2003
    Nice op
  • anthonylees published 21/10/2003
    Hang on in there, Nicole. I have a big problem with emplyment agencies - I work in industrial health and safety, and they are forever sending people into dangerous jobs without any real training on the risks involved - ike the job you were offered unloading lorries. Thanks for the COT, by the way - it's reciprocated. Tony

Product Information : Adecco.co.uk