Admiral

Cons None that I can see
Price
Service
Efficiency

"A cheap, friendly insurance company"

I have always insured my car with Admiral, and have found them to be excellent. Being 19 when I bought my car, and having had one accident already, I expected that my premium would be huge, but Admiral were by far the most competitive, quoting me pretty much half what all the other companies in the 'phone book were quoting (400 quid fully comp). Being young and impatient, I was looking to pick up my new car a couple of days after I put the deposit down, and needed to tax it before I did so. This meant that I needed my insurance certificate ASAP, and Admiral delivered it as quickly as they could, no problems.

I spent a year with them, with no accidents, and no problems with my monthly payments.

When it came to renew, I was sent a quote from them through the post in plenty of time. It wasn't, infact, the cheapest, but there were only a few pounds in it, so I stuck with Admiral for continuity's sake. Again, no problems at all, the staff on the 'phone were very nice, and sorted it out within minutes.

All was well, until January this year when someone reversed into me in a car park. Totally not my fault. Insurance-wise, the most dodgy place to be hit, as it isn't a public road and rights of way are hard to determine. Upon 'phoning Admiral, they were very helful and sypathetic, seemingly more concerned about my safety rather than the state of the car. To cut a long and boring story short, I had the car fixed through Admiral's recommended garage, at a cost of 400 quid, exactly what my excess was. There was no point in making a claim as either way it would have cost me £400, and I might have had to pay for the damage to the other car (which was minimal bumper damage) too. So I made a claim, again, through Admiral, but with their uninsured loss department. I didn't lose my 2 years no claims bonus, and I reclaimed all the cash (plus travelling expenses) I lost. This was dealt with very quickly and friendlily, with minimal paperwork, I am very impressed.

Equally, my windscreen shattered this Easter, and I desparately needed to go to University in my car. Again, 'phoning their freephone number, I was able to get it fixed the following day, in my house, quickly and easily.

Admiral, for me, have removed all the stress from car insurance. All I would say is, make sure you spend the 30 odd quid to cover legal expenses, you'll regret it if you don't!

• SMacdonald published 24/07/2001
    Great opinion Louise. I'm looking for good insurance at the moment and this seems one that deserves to be very seriously considered.Cheers!

Product Information : Admiral