Review of "After Earth (DVD)"

published 09/09/2013 | HelenDK
Member since : 31/08/2013
Nurse, wife, mother of 3 children and 3 cats. Whilst working full time my mission is to mortgage free as soon as possible and therefore live a frugal life. I'm new to ciao but as a member of DY, always try to rate more than I receive.
Pro I never have to watch it again
Cons Nepotism in the extreme
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"After Earth was wooden"

Why we chose it
Watched After Earth on DVD last night, it was my middle daughter who 'desperately' wanted to watch this as personally not a big sci fi fan.

The film itself
After Earth was released May / June 2013 and was directed by M Night Shyamalan and produced by Caleeb Pinkett (Jada's brother), Jada Pinket Smith (Will Smiths wife)and Will lassiter. It 'stars' Jaden Smith and Will Smith. Its clearly a family production with Will, Jada, Jaden and Caleeb. It runs for 99 minutes.

The star
I do normally enjoy Will Smith films, his Men In Black, I Robot, Hitch and many other films are good entertaining viewing. He is usually a good all round actor. So I was still happy to watch a film with him starring in.

The storyline
It is the time old classic of a strong authoritarian father with a son who fails to live up to his expectations despite his best efforts. Set in future, where Earth has been abandoned and they now live on Nova Prime. The Father (Cypher) and son (Kitai) go on a journey together which has an unexpected turn of events (but very predictable when watching it). We see the relationship develop in challenging environment / situation whilst we get an understanding around the family history and dynamics

So what did I think.
Probably the worst film I have ever seen. Jadens acting could only be described as wooden and utterly amazing that he was allowed to co-lead a movie. This takes nepotism to an unprecedented level. I have seen far better performances at school nativities. To be fair, it was the worst performance I have ever seen Will Smith give either and the storyline was average at best.

Recommend?
I definitely wouldn't recommend buying this DVD, it currently costs £12.99 from Amazon with free delivery, or even watching it for free as it was dreadful. I am scoring it a 1 star as 0 isn't an option. Classified as "rotten" on rotten tomatoes, so it isn't just my family that thought it was dreadful.

Also reviewed on Doo Yoo.

• saurabh.neo published 17/09/2013
    I am a big sci-fi fan and was thinking of buying this DVD but this review broke my heart and my expectations :( . I had been waiting for this movie since past few months. I guess now I will wait for this movie to show up on TV. Thanks for the review.
  • trayrope published 10/09/2013
    How disappointing, I wanted to see this at the cinema. I am glad I never got around to it.
  • HelenDK published 10/09/2013
    I was really shocked just how bad this movie was, you think someone would have said, "Will, the by can't act!"