Attraction

Review of "Ahu Nau Nau at Akena Beach, Easter Island"

published 18/07/2014 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1977
Family and days of childminding now keeping me busy but I keep on rating more than writing. Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Perfectly preserved Moai and a beach too
Cons None really
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Moai on the beach at Anekena"

Ahu Nau Nau at Anakena beach
Easter Island

This Ahu was another where the location made it special. There are few decent beaches on Easter island as most of the shore line has rocky cliffs. This beach has beautiful pink coloured sand and blue sea beyond which along with the imported palm trees planted around makes this a very pleasant spot to spend an hour or two.

This Ahu ( platform) has some of the best preserved Moai ( head statues) of any because until they were restored to the Ahu the Moai were buried in the sand which kept their features undamaged for years. Ahu Nau Nau has seven Moai, four of which are wearing the red scoria topknots.

Anakena beach is on the north coast of the island and the palm trees behind the beach have been brought in and planted to make it more attractive. There are very few trees still native to the island as most were chopped down for fuel.

The Ahu and its Moai were restored in 1980 by a Rapa Nui archaeologist Sergio Rapu Haoa. Of the seven moai, four of them are large, two are medium sized and one of those has no head and the last has less than half a body. I think what is specially attractive about this Ahu is that the four big moai have their beautiful red scoria hats or topknots called pukao. These pukao are not glued on but are carved to perfectly fit onto the appropriate head. The pukao are all slightly different too, one looks like a fez to me! It is because of the sand preserving them that these softer rock pukao are so beautifully preserved on this Ahu and this is what this one so very special and different.

These Moai are quite perfect and the sand has allowed them to keep their sharp features and even their hands and loin cloths can be clearly seen. Most other Moai on the island have been so weathered that only the most obvious features are still visible.

A bit further on than the main Ahu you can see a single Moai standing alone. This was the very first Moai to be restored to the upright position on the island . They restored it using the traditional methods of the Rap Nui people and it was restored by Thor Heyerdahl and a group of islanders.

After taking as many photos as we thought we needed we thought we didn't have time for a swim and anyway it was not actually that hot so we made our way to the beach hut shops and had a beer.

The shops were pretty basic huts and sold drinks and food both hot and cold. Along the edge of the car park inside the hedge on the beach side were a number of local stalls selling souvenirs. Once again they were pretty much the same as everywhere on the island and very expensive too.

There was a changing room and toilets here but I am not sure what they were like as I didn't use them.

I'll add photos when ciao allow me to as it won't do it now for me!

Thanks for reading. This review may be posted on other sites under my same username.