Review of "Air Berlin"

published 29/09/2006 | Andyt72
Member since : 16/02/2006
Pro Cheap, clean, efficient
Cons German style entertainment !!
How often do you travel with this airline
Where did you book
Food Quality
Customer Service
Punctuality

"Air Berlin, German efficiency at its best ?"

Air Berlin are a newish airline trying to tap the short haul cheap end of the market, they offer a 'no frills' approach and as such you get what you pay for. We booked via an independent travel agent so thankfully did not have to endure the website or phones etc.
I was surprised, I will be honest, as a family we are not great fliers (the wife hates it) and as such have little to compare. On our flight to Benidorm we seemed to have a spanking new Airbus, which showed the route, time, temperature etc and although the 'entertainment' was a little lame, this is a German Airline which was operating on a UK - Spain route, so what should everyone expect. Staff on board were courteous and the fact you got a free sandwich and soft drink was good enough as I was expecting to cough up overtime they walked around. To summarise, there were many good points, namely, clean and fresh, courteous staff, free snack / drink, check in times were good (although the terrorist threat did not help), and the outbound leg was very pleasant... except the landing which was a bit hairy as the pilot could not keep it straight coming in due to a bit of wind (from the plane), this caused it to rock from side to side... doesn't sound that bad but when you hear applause from parts of the plane you realise it maybe wasn't as good as it could be. Anyhow that was the outbound from Stanstead. The inbound from Alicante was a little different, firstly the check in...................... slow..............very tedious when you see one family in front and it takes around 20 mins to check them in, maybe that is the Alicante way, I don't know. After actual check in the food areas were pleasant and the boarding didn't take long at all. We did come back on what looked like a second rate Boeing that had seen better days but none the less, they did try and as usual staff were helpful, free snack and drink and flight comfortable albeit with suspicious German comedy entertainment, we landed at Stanstead with a hefty lump (think he came down a bit fast) and I thought my head was going to come of when he was braking and in the matter of a what seemed about 30 feet we were at a standstill. All in all I would fly again with Air Berlin, they seemed to be a good all round Airline which basically done the job. Shame about the dodgy piloting each end.

• anonymili published 30/09/2006
    I was on the verge of giving a somewhat helping as I found it difficult to read the review. Breaking your text up into paragraphs helps make your review more legible to the reader :)