Air Training Corps

Air Training Corps

Review of "Air Training Corps"

published 20/09/2005 | jintybee
Member since : 27/06/2005
Good
Pro stability, respect for authority, fun and make friends
Cons none

"Air Training Corps(ATC) made my boy a young man"

About two years ago my family had attended an Air Show at East Fortune in Scotland. It was something we did as a family unit most every year. While we where there we noticed a tent set up for joining the ATC. At the time Christopher my oldest child seemed to take a interest, but as he was only twelve at that time and needed to wait until he was over thirteen before he could join.

Christopher had many problems with bullies, and as a result his attitude to life was not very good. He shut his self away in his room, and only played his PS2. He would not go out after all what was the point off him going out to get picked on.

Chris got to the stage that he did not even want to goto school, so he got into the habit off going in late or saying that he did not feel well. As parents we realised that this was becoming a major problem. We new that Chris needed a social life where he could intereact with people his own age.

Time after time we kept bringing up him joining the ATC, but as his self esteem was already so low he would not make the first move to join. He would tell us he was interested, but then do nothing about it.

By this time we felt his problems where getting out off hand, so I took the initial steps for Chris to join the ATC.

I checked out available squadrons in our area. Then it came to my attention that the 287 squadron in Edinburgh, was commanded by Flight Lieutenant Smart, who was also a friend off my brother-in-law off many years. So I asked Chris if he wanted to give that squadron a try, I also told him if he did not like it he could leave again.

So we had eventually got Chris to join the ATC. At that time he was doing anything to try to fit in at school,cloths etc.

Once chris got started in the ATC, his attitude started to change. He was taking more pride in his appearance, making new friends and started going out again. It was like he was starting to get his happiness back.

Soon Chris was going to camp, joining in all aspects of the ATC including the Drill Team, Robot Wars and Air Modelling Team.
Chris has won medel in the Robot Wars team when he went to Birmingham. Chris has also been to several camps and has had the opportunity to fly in both a Grob Tutor and a Puma Helicopter. He has also learned how to fire a L98-A1 Cadet Rifle. He really seems to enjoy what he is doing now and he has turned his life around, from someone who would not leave his room into a mature young man who has not only respect for others, he has also learned to respect himself.

Chris is now a Cadet 1st Class and he take pride in every aspect off what he is doing. He was recently at a memorial service for the Battle of Britian. If Chris keeps going the way he is,he will achieve all off his goals including staying on at school, so as to gain grades to one day join the RAF.

If any young person is interested in joining the ATC, or if you as a parent may feel its just what your son or daughter needs. You can contact : RAF Cranwell
Sleaford,
Lincs
NG34 8HB
Tel: 01400 261201
www.aircadets.org

Where you will find out more information about where and how to join. Remember our youngsters can be...

Air Cadets
the next generation

This was written to commend my son for turning into a fine young man. Even tough we still have the occasional arguement but he his a teenager afterall.

• lipsalve published 22/09/2005
    A great constructive way to focus a teenager. Jo x
  • kollarosie published 22/09/2005
    Great review - wish I'd known about ths when I wa a kid ;-)
  • eldergill published 21/09/2005
    Lovely review. There is nothing like the military to bring out personal pride and the best qualities in people

Product Information : Air Training Corps