Airways Hotel, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Airways Hotel, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Review of "Airways Hotel, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea"

published 27/07/2005 | ransj
Member since : 25/07/2005
Pro Close to airport, clean and secure, great restaurant, bar and pool on the roof
Cons Close to airport, little way out of town.
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Airways Hotel"

I stayed at the Airways Hotel back in October 2004 having missed a flight up to the Tufi Dive Resort. Prior to arriving in PNG I had heard a few stories about Port Moresby, and the advice was not to stay too long in town, so to find I would have to make a unscheduled stop was a little worrying.

Any worries I had soon went when we pulled up at the Airways, it is a modern, high quality, air-conditioned hotel located about 5 minutes drive from the airport, so a little way outside the main town. The rooms are very comfortable, the ones we stayed in had either double or twin beds, in-room safe, both had air-conditioning and one even had a kitchen! The front-desk staff were very helpful, allowing us to store some large items in their main safe

On the roof terrace the Airways name becomes the theme. There is a DC3 (I think) forming part of the décor and good view over the airport and the distant mountains. The airport isn't that busy so noise isn't a problem. The terrace too is home to the hotel restaurant, bar and swimming pool (with its own dive shop). The food in the restaurant is very good and the bar has an impressive selection of wines from around the world.

When I visited the internet was available via a kiosk machine in the hotel lobby, also located in the lobby is a small shop selling some snacks and general items such as sun cream, postcards and souvenirs.

All-in-all I really enjoyed my three days at the Airways. The good food and facilities, friendly staff and the pleasant atmosphere were a welcome break in what was a hectic holiday!

• webfoot published 25/12/2007
    I stayed here on and off throught 2007 on my way through to my place of work further west and inland. It is indeed an oasis of pleasure after a few weeks in the jungle in a "dry" camp.! I didn't rate the food as much as you, my salads in particular were just a few pieces of tattered tired lettuce with no attempt at any dressing or "bits" to spruce it up a bit. Very friendly waiters and waitrsses once you finally get their attention (It was always busy when I was there and very difficult to get a room) Yes it is a DC3!
  • ransj published 28/07/2005
    It is a very interesting place. The geology is very impressive, as is the cluture and quality of diving available.
  • Dan_ep published 27/07/2005
    Always wanted to go to New Gineua! Not sure why, but it seems very interesting.

Product Information : Airways Hotel, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea