Aldi (Shop)

published 19/07/2011 | dec_ckc
Member since : 19/07/2011
Satisfactory
Pro cheap
Cons poor quality fresh food
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range
Availability

"Aldi - if its cheap rotten food you want - Aldi is just the place"

I live very close to the local Aldi store. I shop there mainly for convenience and because, of course, it is cheap. However, I write this after many frustrating after-shopping experiences whereby I return home to discover that much of the 'fresh' veg I have bought is rotten. For example, when I remove the tomatoes from their packaging I find that 2 of them are completely rotten. Or, I buy a packet of 3 onions, to discover a day or two later when I come to use them in my bolognaise (as has happened today), that 2 out of 3 are rotten through. I also found today that my mince was only borderline edible and showed palpable relief that I still had one onion to disguise the dubious taste of the less than fresh mince which wasn't due to expire for another 3 days.

Now, I should say that this is the first time I have been compelled to review online. Normally, I would rant and rave at some poor unfortunate soul who just happens to be home when I return from Aldi. But given the frequency of these little one-woman melees I felt it was time to find a new channel through which to vent. I should also point out that the web was not my first port of call - I did try the Aldi customer service helpline first. That phone call did not go well. I decided that taking an hour to write a customer review of Aldi was better spent than traipsing down to Aldi with 2 mutilated onions and a batch of dodgy bolognaise for a 2 or 3 quid refund.

However, in the name of objectivity, I do have some positive things to say about Aldi. They do sell some quality products, cheaply. Aldi provide a sort of 'Easyjet' grocery experience. Its cheap, quick and no frills, but frankly, if I had a few more pennies to spare I wouldn't entertain either.

• dec_ckc published 19/07/2011
    Yes. Its seems stupid that I have continued to go to Aldi. I should have mentioned that I stopped going for many months and have recently started again because it is within easy walking distance and I no longer have a car. Nevertheless, I'll be reverting back to the old strategy. Aldi - strictly emergency shopping only.
  • hollywoodmum published 19/07/2011
    I don't think this applies to all Aldi's we have 2 in our area and people flock there for the fruit and veg, it's always quality
  • christinat published 19/07/2011
    I may have returned after the 1st rotten incident but I would not have returned after the 2nd. That's terrible.x

Product Information : Aldi (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 23/07/2000