bryspy 5

bryspy

About me: Mmm. So, I wrote a new 'resolutions' review and it just replaced last year's and didn't publish it with the new reviews. Thanks Ciao!!!

Member since:04.02.2008

ALDI LAMB SHANKS

30.09.2008

Advantages:
Something a bit different .

Disadvantages:
Pricey for the amount of meat

76 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. 80smusicreviewer
  2. GodfatherOfSoul
  3. Deesrev
  1. Bollinger28
  2. lillamarta
  3. kimwright

A review of Aldi's Lamb Shanks in Rosemary and Mint Sauce.

The box said, "We have chosen the finest ingredients, combined with our passion for food, to offer you succulent lamb shanks slow cooked in an aromatic rosemary and mint sauce." So, I thought I would share with you my experience of these which were part of our Sunday lunch. Did they live up to their expectations? Was Aldi a good provider of quality meat for such an occasion?
Some Facts

• ALDI gets its name from ALbrecht DIscount. The company was originally founded by Karl and Theo Albrecht.
  • ALDI is of course a German based company.
  • It was established in 1913, but didn't come to the UK until 1990.
  • A lamb 'shank' is a cut of meat from its leg.
  • Obviously this isn't suitable for vegetarians!

Allergy Alert

* This product contains Gluten.

Packaging

Since we bought our lamb shanks the packaging has changed, so this will be a very basic description. The shanks are sealed in individual plastic bags and are inside a cardboard box. The box measures 22.5cm x 15.5cm x 7cm. The box tells you that it contains 2 Lamb Shanks and the weight is 750g. The new box, which you will find in the freezer section, is mainly green (My box is mainly black).
Nutritional Information per shank

Calories .... 591 kcal
Protein ..... 63.8g
Sugar ..... 15.8g
Fat ...... 28.1g
Fibre .. 1.9g
Salt .... 3.75g

Some Ingredients

Lamb shank (73%), Water, Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Dried Herbs (Rosemary, Mint), Garlic Powder, Paprika.
For a full list see the end of the box.

How to Cook

I will very briefly list the different ways that you can cook these.

Oven Cook from defrost takes about 40 minutes.
Oven Cook from frozen takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Microwave from frozen will take about 12 minutes.
Boil in the bag for 45 minutes followed by 10 minutes in the oven.

Storage

These can be kept in your freezer until their best before date. Depending on the star marking on your refrigerator they will keep for 1 week, 1 month, or the bb date. Otherwise 3 days in the ice making compartment or 24 hours in a cool place.

My Experience/Opinion

The first thing to point out is that the shanks have a bone running through the middle of them, which of course is part of the experience. We first had lamb shanks when we were on holiday in Ireland, but they were much bigger than these and were stuck up in the middle of mashed potatoes (half a plateful). We had ours with mashed sweet potatoes and roast vegetables (potato, parsnip, red onion, and butternut squash). A rare occasion when a Yorkshire Pudding wasn't required as part of the meal. I would not say that the Aldi lamb shanks would satisfy a big appetite if you are looking for a lot of meat. However, there was enough for us. There is a generous amount of sauce with these, so no gravy was required.

The Taste

Succulent lamb? Yes, actually it was. The lamb came off the bone very easily and was both tender and delicious. It wasn't chewy and succulent is a good word to describe it.
Aromatic rosemary and mint sauce? Again, the description fits very well. It is a good mild blend of rosemary and mint, not overpowering at all. As I mentioned before there was a generous amount of sauce but I found it quite sweet.
After about 30 minutes the kitchen was filled with the mouth watering smell of the lamb and its sauce. It certainly got the gastric juices going.

Would I recommend this product? - Yes, I think this product is of very good quality. However, due to its price, it is better as an occasional treat or a special occasion.

The Price - We paid £4.49 for a 750g box containing 2 lamb shanks. As there were four of us that was £9.98. So, for the amount of meat you get it is quite pricey.

Availability This variety is specially packed for Aldi Stores and are usually available. I believe they are beginning to stock lamb shanks with a different flavour of sauce now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

80smusicreviewer 30.01.2013 14:10

Excellent review as always. E.

GodfatherOfSoul 26.11.2012 18:10

I've always enjoyed lamb but find it a little too pricey for my delicate purse-strings. Great review :-)

LadyValkyrie 23.10.2011 13:51

Aldi do some really decent food, but I have found there's not so much for me there as there used to be since going veggie.