Alessi JL02 'OVO' Kitchen Box

Review of "Alessi JL02 'OVO' Kitchen Box"

published 22/10/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Pro Good quality, stylish, talking point.
Cons Very expensive.

"Alessi Kitchen Box"

First impressions

The Alessi brand may not be widely heard of but the brand is known for its style. Alessi is an Italian homewares brand, and they are known mainly for their kitchen utensils and accessories. They have a stable of famous designers that are brought in to produce these unique creations. A lot of Alessi products are made from plastics or Stainless Steel, and the product we have here is clearly the latter, though we do have a splash of colour in the plastic.

I am actually not sure what this product was designed for, though I don’t think it has a specific use. We have a Stainless Steel container that looks a bit like an egg. The only difference between the shape of an egg and this container is that we have a wavy plastic ornament on the lid.

My experience

This was bought for my family as a gift. I don’t think that the person that bought it knew what it was, but as they have more money than sense I don’t think it bothered them. With the Alessi branding and Stainless Steel finish it looks the part, whatever it is for.

With Alessi known for their kitchen accessories and utensils I am thinking it was designed as a kitchen storage container. It could be used for tea bags, coffee, sugar, or biscuits. We have stored tea bags in ours, and it is a handy little container. It isn’t huge and so doesn’t hold as much as our previous containers, but it looks good and it is built to last. It has ended up on the floor a few times so far, but unlike ceramics it isn’t going to smash. With solid slate tiles it isn’t going to win any battles, but the only worry about it breaking would be the plastic feature on top.

The purple plastic ‘squiggle’ is there as a handle to remove the lid, but it is a nice feature in its own right, and as it is available in a range of colours you could buy a few for various things you wish to store in your kitchen. When you see the price you may change your mind, though.

With a height of 24cm and width of 12cm this is an average sized container for things like tea or coffee. I am not sure I would want to store sugar in it because it could leave a residue inside the container. The polished Stainless Steel finish is not reflected internally, and the slightly textured surface inside was the reason I thought it would be best to use it for tea bags as opposed to anything else.

Price and availability

I could be wrong, but I believe this storage jar is now discontinued. You can still buy them online, and there is a similar but larger cookie jar available now with a glass lower half for £100-£120. This was a gift and I think it cost around £80 as I looked at the price after we received it!

Final thoughts

Overall this is a rather expensive decoration for your kitchen. If you had a few of them they would look smart, but at the cost I don’t think everyone will be rushing out to purchase a set. The Alessi brand is known for its design and style, but they also know ho to charge, and this is a step too far for me. I wouldn’t consider buying this personally, though if you were given it as a gift you may be tempted to hang onto it….or flog it on eBay!

• MrsWilkes published 04/01/2017
    Vh
  • olvfrncsc published 24/12/2016
    VH :)
  • bettyboo47 published 24/10/2016
    I dont even like the looks of it!!