Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTDm 20v

Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTDm 20v

Saloon - Front (FWD) - 6 Speed Manual Gearbox - 2387 cc - Max Speed: 140 mph - 175 bhp - Diesel

Review of "Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTDm 20v"

published 31/03/2010 | whispjohn
Member since : 31/03/2010
Pro Good handling, fuel consumption, comfort
Cons Small for an estate. Dealership costs.
Safety
Spaciousness
Road Handling
Customer service

"Alfa dieselness"

I bought my Alfa 156 2.4 JTD sportwagon, a 2002 model, last year inJune. I have covered nearly 20000 miles in it since then and most of them have been pleasurable and my fuel consumption is 41 MPG. I was worried about buying an Alfa because of the reputation about reliability but after reading up about the 156 diesel, especially the 2.4 I decided to have alook at one. There was one for sale at a local car dealers so I arranged for a test drive and it was a revelation and for £3000 a bit of a bargain, compared to the competition, BMW and Audi, nothing else can compare. I have owned several BMWs and a couple of Audis in my time and I have worked in a BMW and Audi dealership and driven most of what they had on offer. Great cars too, solid and reliable, fast too but German = no fun. I have had so much fun in my Alfa since I bought it and I have had my fair share of problems, mainly with the dealership I bought it from, it turned out that the warranty I got with the car was better than useless. So it has cost me money but get this, an equivalent BMW or Audi will set you back a whole lot more than an Alfa, rougly double the amount for the same year that will not produce the element of fun that the Alfa does. The sense of purpose of the Alfa and the way it drives, you can chuck it around with gay abandon and it will go very quickly indeed, 138mph so far! I will be driving it along the motorway at a steady 70mph and I can feel the car urging me to depress the fun peddle just a little bit more, as if the car is saying "go on, you know you want to" and I do, how daring. One more thing, all the women who have driven it love it, they feel comfortable driving it. I have never owned an Alfa before but I shall be looking at the 159 soon, the diesel of course.