Alias Hotel Seattle, Brighton

Alias Hotel Seattle, Brighton

Hotel - Brighton Marina, Brighton, Sussex, BN2 01273 - 3 Stars

Review of "Alias Hotel Seattle, Brighton"

published 13/11/2007 | andycharger
Member since : 02/08/2000
Good
Pro Fabulous views, decor, function room, disabled facilities
Cons "Casual" staff, inconsistent drinks prices, cheap loo paper!

"Pricey hotel by the sea."

Just returned from a weekend at the Seattle hotel in Brighton and feel Ishould share my views thoughts and comments on my stay there.
Not only have I been I guest there but also attended a function in their function suite, performed there as an artist (at the function) and partaken in a few drinks in their residents bar, called the Black and White Bar.

Here are my thoughts on the hotel and its service.

Location.
Wonderful marina side location with terrific views of the boats in the harbour. It is easily accessible by car and has an adjacent car park where you can park for free if a resident (use level 6 if a hotel resident).
Surrounded by a variety of nightlife and restaurants, it is a great place to be in the evening. However it is about 2 miles from the town of Brighton itself.

Staff.
All very friendly and helpful, if a little young looking! Maybe im getting old. I would say everyone I came across was younger than me and im 33! One offputting thing about them is there is no uniform! They all wear jeans. No im not being snobby or old fashioned but i did feel it was a little too relaxed for such a hotel and looked a little unprofessional.

Environment.
Fantastic. Very modern while having an ocean-liner themed look. Very 20s/30s looking decoration with much grandure and extremely elegant. It is very clean everywhere as well. There is a wonderful function room with a veranda overlooking the harbour.

Accessibility/disabled facilities.
There are 2 lifts in the hotel for access to all floors which have large doors for access for wheelchairs. The corridors are also very wide for good access. There was 1 gentleman staying in a motorised wheelchair at reception while i was there. I asked how he had found his stay (thinking of my ciao review!) and he said he had found it very nice and catered well for his needs. I noticed the staff were very attentive to him and also were organising for his bags to be taken down to his car. Well done Seattle!

Rooms.
Thanks to our function, I was able to look in several of the rooms as we had booked out nearly the entire hotel. Our room was the "budget room" which was £75! that is not what I call budget! However it was indeed very nice. The decor again is ultra modern and very clean. All white paintwork in the rooms did show up some scuffs and marks on the walls which i did think looked a bit naff. The bathrooms had very cool taps and a wonderfully huge shower head! There is also a bath in all rooms. 25 of the rooms face the marina and have small balconies. The other 25 rooms overlook the marina shops and nightlife. We had a sea view and it was great! My sister and brother in law had a much bigger room that really had very little extra to us and their room and their room cost £165 a night! Very expensive.
One critisism I did have. The rooms were very luxorious and well equipped and all had TV/DVD player, a Radio, telephone and the usual shower gel/shampoo are organic substitutes (which you would expect for Brighton!) but the toilet paper was like Budget public toilet paper! That really let it down.

Residents bar.
Hmmm....a couple of bad experiences here. I would advise anyone to ask for a breakdown of their round if they order one. I got the feeling they were charging what they wanted.
e.g. I had a small (and i mean SMALL) bottle of coke. £1.50. Expsensive but accepted. Then ordered a beer, bottle of coke and Gin and Tonic. Did not get a price but handed over £20 not. I got £9.50 change. So on that reckoning the beer and G+T were £4.50 each!
I then saw someone order a Beer and large glass of wine and they paid £7.50! so there is no continuity in pricing and felt a bit offended by that.

Function Room.
This is great for weddings. The staff are very helpful and the wedding coordinator is fabulous. Very attentive and helpful. The room itself is very large and overlooks the marina. The changes between wedding to dining room to evening room were very well organised and streamlined. I observed this first hand as I was setting up audio equipment alongside them while also being a guest. I was very impressed with there coordination and arrangement.

Overall.
A good hotel but the bar did give me a very negative view. The decor and comfort levels are fantastic and as stated they cater for the disabled well. The function room is also very good but I find the accomodation and drinks prices a little too pricey.

• hayer1 published 15/11/2007
    Good review, welcome back.
  • andrewfleminguk published 14/11/2007
    A very good and comprehensive review. Glad you have decided to returned to Ciao and that I have come accross your reviews. Will be back to read more at a better time.
  • COOOEEE published 13/11/2007
    I like the fact you went out of your way to find out the disabled facilities. Fionaxx