BawBaw 5

BawBaw

About me: Loves history, gardens, travel, and words in general.

Member since:06.04.2003

BawBaw's Not-So-Secret Life

08.04.2003

Advantages:
Confidential Confessions

Disadvantages:
Shrouded in Mystery

48 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. skeet263
  2. Delicate_Orchid
  3. salem_witch
  1. bashful2002
  2. angiebaby40
  3. Jaspacat
and a further member

By special request, I've completed the following. I hope it doesn't give away too many of my secrets!

1. What time is it
8:59 pm EDT (East Coast, USA)

2. Name as it appears on Birth certificate
Darla Ann. My grandchildren (there are now three, 2 boys and a girl) call me "BawBaw"--a name bestowed on me by my elder grandson when he first started talking. I treasure being BawBaw.

3. Parents Names
Thomas Elton (no, his name had nothing to do with Elton John). My father was given his middle name in 1925 by an English midwife transplanted to the wilds of Arkansas.
Freda Helen. During WWII, Mother spelled her name "Freeda." She didn't want anyone to mistake her ancestry or her sentiments.

4. Number of candles that appeared on your last Birthday cake
53, but it's a well-known fact that birthday cakes exaggerate

5. Hair Colour
Who remembers . . . or cares?

6. Tattoos
My father had a small one. It consisted of his Social Security Number and the initials of the girlfriend who preceded my mother. I learned some valuable lessons from that tattoo: Never get a tattoo when you're a bit tipsy. And whatever you do, DON'T put anything in writing that can incriminate you.

7. How much do you love your job on a scale of 0-5
Probably a 3. I can think of lots of things I'd rather do. But my boss is terrific, the salary is reasonably good, and retirement isn't far off.

8. Favourite Colour
Gosh, probably blue at the moment. But I confess to being fickle with favourite colours. It may be green or daffodil yellow by tomorrow. I love the colours of early spring.

9. Home county
"Home" as in place of residence--Jefferson County, West Virginia. My husband and I live at the outer edge of the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
"Home" as in where my mind goes when the word is spoken randomly--Bernalillo County, New Mexico. This was my childhood home, the place that shaped much of the person I became.

10 Current Relationship status
Married a mere 34 years. Our anniversary is February 12. We knew each other exactly 4 months when we got married. Crazy kids, we were. But we made it work and have had a grand time in the process. He has been my one true love.

11. Favourite food
I rarely meet a food I don't like. New Mexican is a favourite. (OK, just for you I've added the "u" in "favourite" and in "colour"--see 8 above. I don't know why you want it, but there it is.) Italian is high on the list. Breads, all kinds of breads. ADORE chocolate. Himself does a mean New York style cheesecake. A really fine Sticky Toffee Pudding is something to live for--not to die for. The list could go on and on. But spare me haggis and scrapple.

12. Loved somebody so much it made you cry
Often: my parents, my husband, my children, my grandchildren, and several special friends

13. Been in a car accident
Yes, but only twice and never "serious." (I'll give you the "u," but quotation marks will be by American rules.) In the most recent one, I was hit by a doctor speeding down the road in his SUV. He hit the driver's door of my car by passing me on the left while I was making a left-hand turn. Our traffic patterns are very different here, but trust me, that was NOT a legal pass. But I was an out-of-state driver, and he knew the local cops. The cops decided to call it a draw, sheeeesh.

14. Croutons or bacon bits
Croutons, preferably with lots of herbs.

15. Sprite or 7up
I don't see much point in either, really. Aside from water, ginger ale is my "clear" (as in transparent) beverage of choice. My favorite soft drink is Royal Crown (RC) Cola--not as sweet as Coke and, in my view, far more satisfying. I've never seen RC in the UK. So there I search for Irn-Bru. I'm not sure I love it, but it's pleasant and verrrry different. Sorta like creme soda. And my Scottish friends swear by it.

16. Favourite movie
Hmmmm, that's hard. I favour several. I love the new Lord of the Rings movies. Star Trek IV is a longstanding favourite. Exodus gets drug out at least once a year. Fiddler on the Roof touches my bittersweet sentimentality. The Italian Job makes me laugh. The Green Mile makes me cry. So does How Green Was My Valley. Once again, the list can go on and on.

17. Favourite Holiday
Thanksgiving, by a mile. It's a family time focused on food and sharing--not on finding, getting, and giving gifts. It's a holiday that encourages reflection and gratitude, not stress and (dare I say it?) greed. I think we need to take a huge measure of the commercialism out of our holidays. Anxiety over getting and giving the "right" things has spoiled too many times that should be cherished merely for the gift of sharing time together. We all have too many "things" anyway.

18. Favourite day of the week
Saturday, the traditional sabbath, a day of rest and renewal

19. Favourite Toothpaste
Crest? Hey, I'm not fussy about this. Just so I have toothpaste.

20. Favourite restaurant
Hillbrook Inn, located just 4 miles down the road from my house. Hillbrook has a cordon bleu-trained chef. Dinner at Hillbrook is always a surprise. On making the reservation, guests inform the chef of dietary dislikes and restrictions. She then prepares the menu based on what is left in the world of food. Dinner is a 7-course meal served at a leisurely pace and accompanied with appropriate wines. Dinner at Hillbrook is always a special occasion.

21. Favourite flowers
Daffodils and lilacs in spring
Lilies in summer
Orchids for special occasions.

22. Favourite Beverage
There are many categories that apply here. One answer is not appropriate. After all, variety is the spice of life. Note a few favs as follows:
Soft drink: RC Cola
Whisky/Whiskey: Jameson
Mixed Drink: Marguerita (with Long Island Iced Tea a close second)
Fruit juice: Freshly squeezed Orange Juice
Hot drink(s): coffee, tea, and hot chocolate--depending on my mood
Water and milk are also favourites.

23. Favourite sport to watch
Golf. That's for Himself. He loves and plays the sport, and I admire the ethics of the game.

24. Preferred type of Ice cream
Dairy Queen frozen vanilla custard

25. Favourite Sesame Street Character
Grouch, he's still really cool. By the way, Jim Henson when to my university--the University of Maryland at College Park.

26. Favourite fast food Restaurant
I was going to say I don't have one, but there is a small chain in my native Southwest that I patronize whenever I go home. It's called Lot-A-Burger. They specialize in huge Whopper-sized burgers served with your choice of green or red chilies. Yum! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

27. Favourite actor (BawBaw's addition)
Paul Newman, far and away. Himself and I have a deal. If he can get Loni Anderson to invite him to put his slippers under her bed, he has my blessing. If I can get Paul Newman, ditto. So far, the opportunity hasn't materialized, but one should always hold on to options.

28. When was your last hospital visit
For myself, 31+ years ago, when my younger daughter was born. As a visitor, March 19, 2003, when my granddaughter was born.

29. What colour is your bedroom carpet
Area rugs on wood floor. Deep crimson and greens on an ivory background, with a pattern of Victorian roses.

30. How many times did you fail your drivers test?
I don't fail tests, never did.

31. Who was the last person you read an opinion by?
It would have to be this one, by me.

32. Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
Never, and I'm sticking to that story.

33. Which single store card would you choose to max out?
Nieman-Marcus. Happily, I don't have a card for this chain.

34. What do you do most often when you're bored?
When I'm bored with the pace of the evening, I pick up a book, resume my crochet, or putter off to my 'puter. I'm a rather dull person.

35. Most annoying thing people ask me?
"Can I ask you a question?" Sheesh . . .
"When will we get there?" That one's left over from parenting and seems destined to be part of grandparenting as well.

36. Bedtime
When I go to bed. I haven't had a bedtime since I was 10.

37. Favourite TV shows
Star Trek Next Generation, As Time Goes By, The West Wing, Any Day Now

38. Last person you went out to dinner with
Himself (my dear husband)--this very night after work.

39. Last movie you saw
The Object of Beauty, on DVD, with Himself, starring John Malkovich and Andie MacDowell

40. What car do you drive?
A black 1993 Ford Probe

41. Favourite position
Sitting cross-legged on the floor, with shoes off.

42. Time when you finished typing the answers
9:53 EDT

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

Delicate_Orchid 22.10.2004 12:59

Great to get to know you better! Desiree x

salem_witch 16.05.2004 19:54

Nice to know more about you!

mouette 13.11.2003 18:16

Thanks for the detailed insight. Nick