All Afloat on Noah's Boat - Tony Mitton

All Afloat on Noah's Boat - Tony Mitton

Review of "All Afloat on Noah's Boat - Tony Mitton"

published 18/06/2009 | claribella
Member since : 14/06/2009
Pro Excellent books
Cons None

"This certainly floated our boat!"

I came across this book at my local library and fell in love with so have since borrowed it a few times.

The story is written by Tony Mitton and is illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees. It was first published in 2006 by Orchard books.

The story is based on the well known bible story, Noah and the ark but this one has a different outlook to all of the others that I have read. The animals start to become extremely agitated and restless after they have been on the ark for a while and start arguing with each other. Noah puts a stop to all the rowing by calling a talent contest. All of the animals perform on centre stage apart from the caterpillars who are watching from the window sill. They are far too quiet and feel that they have absolutely nothing entertaining to offer the other animals until the very end when they pop out of there cocoon and become butterflies.

The writing of the story is fantastic. The whole book rhymes but it's more of a chant and I found that I was practically rapping the whole thing. Every sentence makes perfect sense with no words thrown in just because the writer couldn't think of a word that rhymes with the previous line.

I love the way the writing is incooperated into the drawings and isn't your standard 'straight lined from left to right' wording. Some arches over Noah's head whilst other bits are in a wiggly line. It does sound a bit all over the place but because the writing is thick and bold it's very easy to spot. The wording also depicts what is being said so if you are menat to shout something then the words are very big and sprawled across the page.

This story is not only very well written but it is also brilliantly illustrated. The pictures are eyecatching and bold and really engage the reader. Every page is filled from top to bottom but it isn't filled in so much detail that you have to really study the pictures to get anything out of them. The illustration of Noah is fantastic and he looks extremely friendly and a fun guy to be around.

Noah absolutely loves this story as much as I do which is just as well since I have read it to him tonnes of times. He knows quite a lot of the text now so enjoys finishing off every sentence before I do. I think he enjoys it because I put a lot of passion into reading it but also because the main character shares his name. He loves the original story of Noah and is very familiar with the flood coming and the animals boarding the boat but he absolutely loved the fact that all of the animals performed different tricks.

I loved the fact that this story ties in with the biblical principles of the story of Noah but it teaches children how a caterpillar develops into a beautiful butterfly.

The thing I loved most of all about this story is the fact that it shows that everyone has a talent. No matter who you are, you have something to give whether thats a big thing or a small thing and you will get noticed for that. This is something that I really want to instill into my children. I want them to know that even if they aren't at the forefront performing in front of an audience then they can do something less significant (like the caterpillars) but that does make a difference.

This story is a cross between the original story of Noah in the bible and second half of The Very Hungry Caterpillar so if you liked them then you will be sure to like this one too.

The book is available from Waterstones for £10.99 or you can pick it up from Amazon for a little cheaper. I personally prefer to borrow for free from my local library.

Over all I can't recommend this book highly enough. It is most certainly in the top ten of children's stories and I will be seeking out other books from the same author.

• MAFARRIMOND published 19/06/2009
    I will have to get this for Will. It sounds really good. Maureen x
  • retireduser published 18/06/2009
    Great review. ^_^
  • oldchem published 18/06/2009
    A lovely review - thank you

Product Information : All Afloat on Noah's Boat - Tony Mitton

Noah's Ark is busy and noisy, and it's not long before the animals begin to get grouchy. Clever old Noah hatches a plan for an incredible creature cabaret to get the Ark swinging again.

Publisher: Orchard Books

Type: Fiction

Genre: Children's

Subgenre: Picture books

Title: All Afloat on Noah's Boat, All Afloat on Noah's Boat!

All Authors: Tony Mitton, Guy Parker-Rees

Author: Tony Mitton, Tony Milton & Guy Parker-Rees

ISBN: 1846162424

Listed on Ciao since: 03/08/2009

All Afloat on Noah's Boat - Tony Mitton - Review - This certainly floated our boat!

claribell... 5

claribella

Member since:14.06.2009

This certainly floated our boat!

18.06.2009

Advantages:
Excellent books

Disadvantages:
None

Would you read it again?

Story

Characters

Readability

How does it compare to similar books?

How does it compare to other works by the same author?

5 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Soho_Black
  2. TheHairyGodmother
  3. bruffyboy

The book is available from Waterstones for 10.99 or you can pick it up from Amazon for a little cheaper. I personally prefer to borrow for free from my local library.

« Previous review

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

MAFARRIMOND 19.06.2009 07:54