Allied Pickfords

Allied Pickfords

Review of "Allied Pickfords"

published 15/06/2004 | synctime
Member since : 15/06/2004
Pro Same company at both ends
Cons Large organisation - chaotic
Service efficiency
Care taken with possessions
Competitiveness of charges

"Allied Pickfords - the careless movers"

I used Allied Pickfords to move my houshold belongings from Australia to the UK. The price quoted by Pickfords Australia was not the cheapest, but I choosed them because they would be the same company at both ends, and I thought Pickfords are 'careful movers'. (I had a quotation from an Australian company for less money, and for a full container.) After my belongings were taken away in Australia, I had a call from the salesmen for more money, because the volume was more than he estimated. He told me that if I don't pay, then the excess boxes would be returned to me. Hence, I had no choice but to pay him, except at a reduced fee of $550 after much debate. I was very unhappy, and wrote a letter of complaint to the salesman and his manager. The manager wrote back and informed me that the extra fee was justified. I then made an official complaint to the Department of Fair Trading, explaining my case and I sent them the contract from Pickfords. The DFT took my case on board, and eventually Pickfords Australia agreed to pay back half of the excess money I paid. The DFT advised me to take Pickfords Australia to court, but I declined because it would mean more problems for me. Hence I reluctantly accepted the half refund.

I was astonised that the removal men from Allied Pickfords UK were not equipped with any wheel barrels or trolleys. They had to carry each box by hand, including a very large fridge/freezer and the washing machine. The piano could not be delivered, and was taken back to base. The delivery took nearly 6 hours, and it should have been at halved that time. I felt sorry for the delivery men, as they had to work without any 'tools of the trade'.

Two of my boxes were unaccounted for, and I gained one extra box belonging to someone else. Also, there were many damages to my furniture, clothings, and fridge.

I have moved internationally six times over the last 15 years years, and Pickfords is the worst company I have ever used. It went from bad to worse, and still the delivery is not complete. It's the only company I ever made an official complaint, and for me to make a large insurance claim for damages and missing items.

Needless to say, I will not use Pickfords again or recommend Pickords to my colleagues, clients, and friends.

• synctime published 18/07/2004
    I previously used Lucker Bros to move my belongings from the UK to Switzerland, and back several times. They were quite good. However, when I used them to move my stuff from Switzerland to Australia, one box was lost. This was because they did not number the boxes at Switzerland. The boxes were numbered at their base in Oxford, and somehow one box was lost. I would not recommend using a shared container, like I did with Allied Pickfords. Hiring a whole container is much better - less chance of damages, and no chance of mixups. I was offered this option by an Australian company at a lower price, but regretably I did not use them. Also Allied Pickfords do not use portable wardropes for international moves. As a result, all our clothes were badly creased. They crammed 19 jackets in one box !!! The piano was delivered 2 weeks later, arrived at 5pm but was scheduled in the morning. Thankfully, it was not damaged. I have filed an insurance claim of AU$9700, about 4000 pounds of damages. It's a real nightmere. Never, never use Allied Pickfords. I paid more and got monkeys.
  • ChrisWar666 published 18/07/2004
    Good review, I'll be looking out for which movers you recommend as I plan on moving soon! - CW666
  • AnitaM published 17/06/2004
    Sounds disappointing, especially from a firm with a good reputation.

Product Information : Allied Pickfords