Review of "Alpro Soya"

published 10/09/2006 | spottydog2
Member since : 20/12/2004
Pro Healthy and tastes good.
Cons Increased my intake of coffee.
Taste
Effectiveness
Price level

"Healthy drinking (and cooking)."

I was first introduced to Alpro Soya milk afew months ago and have not looked back since. I have it every day. I enjoy the taste, I have it in my coffee, cereal and sometimes cook with it. I first chose it because of the health benefits, it is a bonus that I enjoy the taste. It is a `tasty blend of water and soya beans, with calcium and vitamins.

Alpro soya milk is available in a carton. It is blue and white and contains one litre. The best before date is usually afew weeks from the purchase date which is good. However they do advise that, once opened, to consume within 5 days. These are refrigerated cartons, they are long and thin. It is also avalable in cartons which are not refrigerated. These are slightly more squat, this soya milk has a much longer shelf life. I do prefer the refrigerated type though.

Alpro Soya, a healthy alternative to Milk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alpro soya offers many health benefits which is what attracted me when I initially bought it.

It apparently:-

Lowers cholesterol.
Is low in saturated fat.
Dairy free.
Contains calcium and vitamins.
Contains all 8 essential amino acids.
Contains natural isoflavones.
Contains omega-6 and 3.
No artificial preservatives.

All this and it is also a great taste so at first glance it seems great.

Is it suitable for all members of the family?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alpro soya milk is not suitable for babies but can be introduced as part of a balanced diet from 6 months of age. It can be used as a main milk source from age 2.

Obviously it can not be used for very young families but above age 2 it can.

I do not have anyone under 2 in my family. Unfortunately nobody else likes it. I have to buy it just for me. Suitable it may be but I think it is something of an aquired taste.

Apparently it is suitable for vegetarians.

Also it is a great alternative to those with intolerances to dairy products.

Taste and texture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love the taste of Alpro Soya milk. It is a bit thicker than semi-skimmed milk. It is slightly darker than milk, it has a cream coloured tinge to it due to the colour of the soya beans. It is lovely in coffee. It makes the coffee quite frothy and almost creamy which I love. It has been a bit of a disadvantage to me as I like it so much in coffee, I began drinking a lot more coffee than usual. This contradicts the health benefits really, especially as too much caffeine makes me jittery.

When making tea or coffee, you are advised to pour it into a cup first before adding the water. You are not supposed to use boiling water, let it cool a bit first. This is to prevent it curdlling. The same applies to using it in cooking. Heat it slowly. It just needs a bit of common sense like when cooking with cream, I find it easy to cook with.

I love the taste on my cereal in the morning. I think I enjoy it more as it is a bit thicker. It is not thick, but it has more substance than skimmed milk, or even semi-skimmed. I feel that I am achieving the health benefits without losing the taste as I think you do to an extent with skimmed milk.

Does it really lower cholesterol?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alpro soya claims to lower choloesterol. The guidelines on the carton advise that this will take more than the milk. They suggest 2 x 250ml glasses of milk a day and one 1 x 125g desert and 1 x 125g soya alternative yogurt which equates to 25g of soya which is the recommended daily intake to help reduce cholesterol.

From these guidelines, the soya milk alone would not reduce cholesterol, but used with other soya products, it would according to the carton if you consume the advised amount daily which I wouldn`t necessarily.

Contents.
~~~~~~~~

Alpro soya is suposed to be quite good with regards to calorific value:-

Guideline for the daily amounts.
Typical values Women Men

Vitamins E 3.8 ug(38%)*
Riboflavin 0.6mg(38%)*
D2 1.25 ug(38%)*
B12 1.25ug(125%0*

* = % of recommended daily allowance.

I am not a nutritionist, but it looks pretty good to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is a bit more pricey than dairly milk at around £1.29 per litre. There are frequently offers thouugh and I tend to buy many at this time as they have a longer shelf life than dairly milk. I just get moaned at then for filling up the fridge.

Would I recommend it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes I would.

Just watch your coffee intake if you like it as much as me.

I have tried to include everything in the review but there is also a free phone number and a website for any further details. The UK phone number is 0800 0 188 180
The ROI phone number is 1800 992 878
The website is www.alprosoya.com

The above numbers are not just for the milk but all Alpro Soya products.

Give it a go. It is not everybodies taste. The rest of my family don`t like it so I have to by dairy milk aswell. I still have dairy milk in coffee at other peoples houses, but I don`t like it as much as the soya milk.

Incidentally, my family do not complain if I use it in cooking!

• pinkelephantuk published 22/09/2006
    A great review. I really like the taste of Alpro soya milk too.
  • Dan_ep published 17/09/2006
    I quite like milk! Nice review though. Dan.
  • kelr101 published 15/09/2006
    It is definitely an acquired taste...personally I hate it, but my mum loves it and uses it in her cooking too - thankfully I no longer live at home :-), kels x