sarahbarr... 5

sarahbarrow

About me: Happy new year to you all! Also on Dooyoo as kaitlinsmummy x x x

Member since:11.05.2007

Mr Darcy.....the book with bite!

28.10.2009

Advantages:
A twist on the original .

Disadvantages:
The idea is outrageous !

Would you read it again?

Story

Characters

Readability

How does it compare to similar books?

How does it compare to other works by the same author?

22 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. rachdwriter
  2. Soho_Black
  3. TheHairyGodmother

After reviewing a book that I state as being a relief from the endless vampire books that I have to read, I know I shouldn’t really moan, they are my favourite, I am now reviewing the newest vampire book to cross my path, thanks entirely to my darling husband!

The book I will now review is - “Mr Darcy - vampire, by Amanda Grange”

I have to be honest, after my husband presented this to me the other week, looking extremely pleased with his find I might add, I was gob smacked that someone had had the audacity to mess with a classic, that was until read it that is!

The story, if you hadn’t twigged yet, is centred around the two main characters of the original story “Pride and Prejudice”, these being Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy.

The story begins pretty much where the original finished, albeit by a few pages!

It is the morning of Elizabeth and her sister Jane’s wedding day, you will of course be aware that the wedding is the last pivotal moment in the afore mentioned book.
This does go into much more detail, which I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed giving more reasoning behind the way Elizabeth acts and also Mr Darcy too.

The story continues from the wedding onto the wedding tour, which at first seems quite mundane and staunch, but after a sudden change of mind, Mr Darcy decides that he wished to take his new wife to see relations in France and beyond, this was an unusual request due to war that had just previously taken place and the unrest that still lay within many of the European countries visited within the book.

After meeting many of Darcy’s relations and friends, she soon starts to feel slightly out of her depth, knowing that she married into prestigious and old family she genuinely thought that love would conquer all, but if that is the case, why has Darcy yet to visit her bed and why does it feel that everyone knows something that she doesn’t?

Of course I don’t need to tell you what the big secret is as the title of the book is a pretty big give away!

This book has really surprised me. I loved Pride and prejudice, being one of my all-time favourites, though I have to say I didn’t get on very well with the old text, sometimes finding that trying to decipher what they were saying and doing took my attention away from the storyline a ittle, this book is so much better!

The text still has that very “proper” feel to it, everything has the heaving bosom and cravat feeling to the proceedings, but is written in plain text, making this a much easier read for me.

The other thing I truly loved is the anticipation of the moment when Elizabeth would find something conclusive out, and they do make you wait! Even though you know that the moment is coming, and of course you already know what the secret itself is, there is a wonderful way of how the author deliciously entices the reader into thinking, “well hold on this might be it” or “now if I was in that situation I would have guessed straight away!”, this holds you interest and I have to say I have read this in two days, I was unable to set it down until I knew that she knew, or does she?

This is a relatively new book and is released in the same vein as a couple of others I noticed in Waterstones the other day, though I have little to no desire to read “Sense, sensibility and sea monsters” and “pride, prejudice and zombies”, I kid you not!

For more information visit - www.waterstones.co.uk

Pricewise this is available for around the £7.99 mark, though inevitably this will be available from www.amazon.co.uk for much cheaper, but as this was a present I could hardly moan could I!

Thanks for reading x

arnoldhenryrufus 28.10.2009 22:57

not sure it is one I would go for - nice review - lyn x

Pip2002 28.10.2009 18:40

Thanks for this review, I may just have to go and buy this book now!

anonymili 28.10.2009 18:01

Haha sounds like a fun read! Might see if I can find a 2nd hand copy floating around amazon or ebay. x