Review of "AmazonBasics Packing Cubes"

published 12/04/2016 | Essexgirl2006
Member since : 07/02/2006
Pro Helps the organised packer, durable
Cons Maybe too restrictive if tight for space
Design
No of compartments
Weight of bag itself

"Pack Squared"

AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - Large and Medium

AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - Large and Medium

AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - 2 Medium and 2 Large (4-Piece Set)

Introduction

As a member of the Amazon Vine program I am occasionally offered free items in exchange for an honest review. When these packing cubes came up on the list, I thought they looked very useful so requested them.

What are they?

They are fabric and mesh box shaped bags (a cube may be stretching it – they are oblong) and I have two sizes:
Medium-sized cubes (35 x 25 x 8 cm [13.75 x 9.75 x 3 inches])
Large-sized cubes (44 x 32 x 8 cm [17.5 x 12.75 x 3.25 inches]) (L x W x H).

The bags seem well made of polyester fabric with mesh panels at the top so you can see what is inside. The ‘cubes’ can be zipped almost all the way round, with double zip pullers so you can quickly access anything inside. The zips are chunky and the pullers easy to grab and there is also a webbed handle, which can also be used to hang them.

They are very light and won’t add to your excess weight. They can also be machine washed (cold, gentle) and line-dried. They seem nicely finished, with all seams covered to prevent snagging.
Price and Availability

These particular cubes are exclusive to Amazon and have an RRP of £20.99 and I have not spotted an offer on these, the price seems to stay about the same , which means delivery is currently free with Amazon. Other brands offer packing cubes and it would seem that Amazon Basics are competitively priced for the sizes/packs that they offer compared to the Premium luggage/outdoors brands like Lowe Alpine. However I have seen cheaper sets, but cannot comment on the quality of the other brands.

I have a blue set but it also comes in sky blue (pale), red, green, black and grey. Other sizes and pack combinations are available.
My Thoughts

My first impression was that they looked slightly larger than I expected and I was intrigued as to what I could fit in each one. Into the large one I tried a bath towel, hand towel, face cloth and two toilet bags and found I had room to spare for another towel or some sundries. The medium one easily took four lightweight knitted tops and again I had room to spare. I imagine that wouldn’t be the case with chunkier knits or men’s sweaters which would be bigger than mine. As the cubes are made of a soft, pliable fabric a little bit of excess space in the cube is not lost space in your bag. The Amazon blurb claims that the cubes help protect garments from wrinkles, which can only be a good thing.

Often I go on holiday and travel around so I am using a backpack and only staying in one place for 1-2 nights. For this I think the cubes are too restrictive, especially the larger one, as I tend to roll my clothes and squeeze then into corners – undies and socks stuffed into footwear and T-shirts rolled to slip into any gaps. I think the cube could take up too much room and doesn't seem to have the ‘give’ my back pack does to squeeze that last top in. That said, having your nightwear and shower stuff easily locatable when you arrive somewhere late at night can be a God-send, as would having an outfit ready to go for the next day.

The bags seem to be of good quality, whilst the outer casing feels quite thin it doesn't look likely to tear and the zips aren't fiddly or awkward. The top is mostly mesh so you can easily see what is inside, and allows the contents to breathe, which is handy with wet towels, socks or shoes. However it isn't waterproof so it could make other items damp and leaked toiletries could still get in through the mesh. I think the rest of the cube is waterproof (or at least resistant) but I've not been inclined to put it to the test and get my clothes damp unnecessarily, if this is not the case!

I can see myself using them on camping trips, when travelling by car so have a bit more flexibility Here I can divide up towels and toiletries from clothes and other items for ease of locating in the confined space of the tent, and keeping your space tidy. I would more likely use the medium cubes when I go on my main holiday, as I am arriving at a inhospitable time, so can easily access what I need before I crash and move on. Smaller cubes (which I don’t have) would be handy for jewellery and hair accessories, and perhaps an easier shape than the spare make-up or wash bag that I usually use. It would also help prevent keep clean clothes separate from muddy boots/trainers on short journeys without wasting a precious plastic carrier bag.

I can see other uses for these than just organising your suitcase, and see that they would be very useful for families that may need to access a change of clothes, first aid or toiletries for smaller members of the family at any given moment whilst out and about, especially as you can get a range of sizes. They would also be a good way of organising the car boot, spare room or off-season clothes (larger sizes).
They are also an easy way of separating each family member’s clothes on short trips when sharing bags. Alternatively it could be used as a toy or entertainment bag and a tidy place to keep chargers, cables and adaptors when you need them. You could use one as a laundry bag (although I have a different bag for this which isn't ‘boxy’ and I prefer it). To be honest, when I am coming home everything is getting washed anyway so doesn't need to be kept separate.

Conclusion

This sort of thing is ideal for the organised traveller, I am just not sure that I am one! However that is not the fault of the cubes which seem to be durable and have a variety of uses for those more organised than I. I suspect, for me, they will be better used on camping/hostelling trips where I have limited space and my roomies get fed up of my bag exploding when I'm trying to locate a clean pair of black knickers in the bottom of a black bag. I think I’d be frustrated by them on longer trips and find them too restrictive.

• justarube published 01/08/2016