Amazon Kindle Wi-Fi 6" E Ink Display

Review of "Amazon Kindle Wi-Fi 6" E Ink Display"

published 02/01/2012 | CGholy
Member since : 17/06/2010
The end of an era for Ciao. But at least I went out on a high.
Pro Plenty of choice, easy to use and read and a good battery life
Cons No colour, sometimes freezes, no plug included
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"Amazon's iBook"

Amazon Kindle Wi-Fi 6" E Ink Display

On a low budget, an e-reader with 2GB storage for £89 without colour or audio, this particular kindle seems to be very expensive for what is is. Because it doesn't have a touch screen, you could say that the model is out of touch. However, this little beauty can hold hundreds or over a thousand books, and you can even download free books. So in the long run, it's great value for money. I would have said bargain, but I don't think bargain is the right word to use, although that's how I initially felt.

The design of this particular model of the kindle reminds me of the iPod Touch and it's about thrice or twice it's size. I quite like the design on it as well. I kind of like how this kindle isn't touch screen and uses buttons instead because I think it's a little nostalgic and refreshing compared so many touch screen devices.

I found it very easy to buy and read books on the kindle. Downloading content was very quick and it made me so excited that I've ended up downloading about over 12 books at a time. The bookworm in me got carried away there, but I thought it was pretty exciting. I felt free with device because there didn't seem to be a download limit on the free books. The kindle is a very useful device for me. I no longer have to carry four books in my bag and my handbag is a lot more lighter now.

The internet features surprised me. I had my doubts. I thought that there was no way that I could possibly go on other websites other than Amazon. I think if it was in colour, then I would have expected the the browser to be already in. I don't think I really thought about it properly at the time.

So I was pleasantly surprised with the search function including choices to look on Wikipedia, Amazon or Google. I think it's neat going on the internet in black and white. I tried going on Facebook on it, and it loaded the full site okay although it did freeze sometimes. Also, you can't go on YouTube on it, well you can, I checked out of curiosity, but you can't watch videos on it. I don't think you really need to watch videos on YouTube on a kindle.

The battery life is exceptional. Even though it wouldn't last up to a month without charging when you have WiFi, it's still pretty good and charging is pretty quick too. I've never had any problems with the battery life so far. Charging the kindle doesn't give me any problems.

I really loved the kindle and I'm glad I joined the bandwagon. It's not as perfect as a lot of people have said. There have been times when it freezes and it had to be fixed by switching it off and turning it back on again. Although I think that might have been because I downloaded too many books at a time. I don't think that was a huge technical error because I haven't seen a lot of reviews bring it up.

As mentioned before, it's easy to read and browse through books. I found the screen to be crisp and clear. There's a good option of fonts which you can make even bigger or smaller with your choice. There's also a neat feature called whispernet, which means when you exit a book, when you click on it again it will go straight to the last page you read. This is quite handy as a bookmark, but on the other hand, if you decided to read something you haven't read in years and found out that you've already read half way though, you might have to start all over again. I think the range of options will eventually solve that problem though.

It was worth getting the kindle in my opinion. It's fun, clever, confident and useful. It makes me more open-minded about literature and made me aware of how much useful information I can get in the kindle. One thing I would like is for a plug to charge my kindle. Even though we can charge the kindle via a laptop, I think it would have been nice to also include a plug in case of times when we need to charge a kindle and we have no access to a computer.

When inactive, it will eventually turn itself off. Turning the kindle off is pretty interesting too. When turning the kindle off by either automatic or manually the screen shows a picture that looks like an illustration. It's different every time. They remind me of nice traditional drawings. To me that's like magic, I don't know how they do it.

Despite the small faults, it's a very good device. It's got nearly everything I need. At some point in the future, I would like to see more manga and graphic novels available on the kindle, especially some of the more well known ones. I don't think it will happen any time soon, but it would save a lot more space in my room.

• cha97michelle published 16/01/2012
    I love mine now I am used to it. It is so convenient.
  • Coloneljohn published 15/01/2012
    Nice but I will stick to real books. John
  • bluejules published 07/01/2012
    I got a kindle last Christmas and I love it. I've converted my parents so they each have one now too!