Amazon.co.uk Marketplace

Amazon.co.uk Marketplace

Web Marketplace, Books, Movies & Music

Review of "Amazon.co.uk Marketplace"

published 14/04/2008 | chezdanibecks
Member since : 09/07/2007
Pro Variety, ease of navigation, detailed seller information and ease of communication.
Cons Fixed delivery charges and commission.

"Great for both buying and selling"

Well, where do I start. I have been dealing with Amazon for about 5 years.

The site is easy to naviagate with a large search bar at the top and then tabs for different categories. They sell a wide range of gifts, CDs, DVDs, Books, toys and even shoes can you believe.

At first, I was rather jubious about buying from the site, as I am always careful about where I buy on the internet. These days what with technology, card cloners and computer hackers, you just can't be too careful. Anyhow, my friends and family had raved about the site and it seemed secure.

I made my first purchase from Amazon.co.uk direct, and it arrived quick-sharp and at a reasonable proce. My only quar is that they fix their delivery prices and so that certainly bumps up your price. For that reason I decided I would look at independant sellers on the site - the marketplace.

Again, cautious as I am, I went in for the kill and found an item I wanted at a reasonable price. I'm a bit of a bookworm, so I went straight to the book section, searched for one I was after and click on "used or new". Here, for some items the list is endless. SO how do you choose who you buy it from?

Well, like I said before, Amazon.co.uk fix their delivery prices. It's not like eBay where the seller can decide how much they want for delivery, oh no, Amazon.co.uk decide this.

For example, in the UK the delivery prices are as follows...

Books - £2.75 (any size, so this is a bargain for a huge, heavy book under new Royal Mail guidelines, and a rip off for a book that can be sent on a first class stamp!)

CDs - £1.24

DVDs - £1.24

Videos - £2.75

and the list goes on, varying in delivery cost for video games, electronics, photo, software, toys etc.

The one thing I will also say about delivery charges is that I once bought a sim card from the marketplace. This simcard came in a very small package and would have been posted for the mere price of a first class stamp. However!!!!! I was charged a whole £3.90 for delivery! Never again!

Anyhow, back to how you decide which seller to go for. Well, taking into consideration the delivery costs, I usually go for the cheapest seller, which is always at the top. That is, if you don't mind what condition the item is. You can either choose used or new. Now, as I am a book worm, I usually go for used, and I don't mind what condition the book is in (i.e. accpetable, like new, good etc). When you are faced with the list of sellers, another thing to take into consideration is their ratings. A high rating, say 100% positive means that every single one of that sellers ratings is positive. You can also click on this rating to see exactly what other buyers have said about this seller. Likewise, if they have a low rating such as 50% positive, this means that only half of their buyers were happy with their sale. Again, click on this rating and read exactly what has been said. A hugely valuable piece of information in my opinion: I never go for a seller with a low rating as then I worry they might take my money but not dispatch the item.

Which links nicely with, what happends if exactly that happens. Well it has happened to me. I bought a textbook for uni from a seller who was not based in the UK (again see Seller information and it either says Dispatched from United Kingdom or United States etc). I waited six weeks and still the item did not arrive. I contacted Amazon and they offered me a full refund under the circumstances. Now I was genuine, but I am sure there are many who play on this policy Amazon have, so I am sure they must cap the amount of times you apply for a refund, or log it on your file - I don't know. A wise move would be to only buy in the UK, much quicker and cheaper delivery.

It might also be worth noting here that you do not bid on items, once you buy them, they are yours. So it is like "buy it now" on eBay.

Once I had go tthe bug for buying items on the Amazon Marketplace. I decided to become a Marketplace seller. I have so so so many books from buying on there, and it isn't always convenient to keep doing bootsales. It was quick and eas yto set up a seller account, adn then all I had to do was list my items. Bear in mind here, that you can only sell and item if Amazon sells it. For example, you cannot sell a car like eBay and Amazon do not sell cars.

This is where Amazon works in your favour. The delivery charge I said before, you cannot change, so with lighter items you end up in more profit. However, of course Amazon will take their cut. I sold a book the other day for 1p. Add that together with the delivery price (£2.75) and I should have received £2.76. Minus my postage costs (50p) and I should have been £2.26 in profit. However, Amazon took the cut as displayed below...

Buyer's Price: £0.01
Amazon Commission: (£1.18)
VAT on Amazon.co.uk: (£0.17)
Postage Credit: £2.75
Your Earnings: £1.41

SO I only earnt £1.41, now take away my postage costs and I only ended up with 91p! I weigh this information up when selling items, particularly heavy items which cost me a lot to sell, to decide whether there is any point in selling on Amazon.

So to conclude, Amazon Marketplace is great for variety, ease of navigation, detailed seller information and ease of communication with Amazon themself when there is a problem. It is not so great for their fixed delivery charges and the extensive cut they take from your profits!

I am getting so confident with Amazon now, that I am thinking of becoming an eBay seller, but one step at a time - I have only just started buying on there!

• redeyes22 published 18/04/2008
    great review aggy
  • bemusedpear published 14/04/2008
    Good review, I agree with you about the postage, can work both ways - I sold a text book once which cost me more to post that i ended up with :( never made that mistake again!
  • costas1234 published 14/04/2008