Amazon.co.uk

Web Marketplace, Books, Movies & Music

Review of "Amazon.co.uk"

published 23/05/2009 | marina321
Member since : 15/04/2008
Pro Online shopping, sell items (free listings), good range of goods & ranges, good sales process
Cons The higher the price of your item, the more the fees

"Buy and Sell at Amazon"

Amazon is a website and online shop where you can buy and sell a wide range of products from CDs & DVDs, Books, Clothes & Accessories, Electronics, Toys and more...

I have used Amazon a lot in the past year as I use it to buy DVDs for some of my favourite TV series which are not readily available in the UK, or if they are available they are rather expensive.

On Amazon, you can buy them straight from the distributors in the US at a reasonable price and you have a good range of prices to choose from depending on the condition of the item, you can buy second hand if you want to..

BUYING:

My experience as a buyer at Amazon has been pleasant. You need to set up an account when you shop and you can monitor your transaction online (tracking) along with the regular updates via email that the site sends.

The website has a good layout and it's easy to look for and find the item you require using the categories in which the products are arranged or you can search using the search tool which is very handy as you can also search using IBANs for books or the corresponding code for the CDs and DVDs if you have them to hand (this is handy when listing items to sell)

Once you've found your item, the e-commerce side of the site is pretty straight forward and you can pay by debit/credit card.

When I have previously made orders for DVDs, they have arrived within the agreed time, I have ordered brand new items each time (even though some of the second-hand prices are very tempting..) and they have arrived in excellent condition and packaged very well that they have fit in my letter box when posted with no need to sign for or collect from the mail office...

SELLING:

Selling on Amazon is just as easy. It is free to list your item and the fees are only taken off on selling the item (consider it their commission for helping you sell the item). If you do not sell the item, you will not pay and this is one of the reasons I prefer it to other similar sites.

Their commission rates range depending on the price of the item so you need to check this for an individual item and whether it would be delivered to a domestic or international destination, it is worth comparing your returns after fees are taken off to see whether it is worth posting it over-seas, most of my listings are to domestic destinations as I find the fees less, about £0.50p or less for a £15 item.

You get regular updates on enquiries on your item that Amazon sends through email with guidance on correspondence to the buyer.

In the past, I have sold some of my text books that I had from university and the transaction has gone smoothly, I am looking at selling more and have listed some more items recently.

I'd recommend the site if you're into online shopping and if you want to get rid of some items you no longer need and are in usable condition. Might as well get some pennies for them:)