AnneLorra... 5

AnneLorraine1

About me: Thank you for taking the trouble to rate my reviews. Please don't worry about thanking me for E rates, there's no need.

Member since:02.06.2010

AMAZON-AMAZINGLY EASY, EVEN FOR A SIMPLETON LIKE ME

27.11.2010 (28.11.2010)

Advantages:
Shopping from the comfort of one's own home, avoiding the crowds .

Disadvantages:
None for me so far .

62 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Graygirl
  2. D_i_a_n_e
  3. Deesrev
  1. wazza115
  2. Wee_Jackie_163
  3. Rosebudwithredroses

As I often say, I'm not computer literate (although I'm improving) and not at all technical. I'm of the age when, at school, computers weren't really heard of. Any whisperings was like hearing of something that wouldn't happen for decades. When I worked in quite modern offices, there weren't then, computers. The most technical thing contained in the last office that I worked in was a fax machine. I wasn't familiar with this.

But all of my children have been, and still are, interested in computers. So I have learnt a little along the way. Also, when working in primary schools, I realised that I would have to learn a few skills. The pupils helped me!

The internet, to me, seemed such a weird thing that, at first, I was scared of it. But nowadays I've moved a little with the times, and have been accused of being, 'as bad as the kids!' in that I am often 'glued' to the P.C. If I'm not writing reviews or sending Emails, then I will probably be shopping or researching future holidays.

A few years ago I was introduced to the Amazon site. This was through my third son who wanted (or perhaps I should say, needed!) some study guides for G.C.S.E. exams. I bought some in high street stores, usually W.H.Smith, but often found that we couldn't get anything popular near to exam time, or anything slightly unusual; this was more the case with advanced level G.C.E. So we found Amazon to be very useful.

I admit though, to being ignorant, and thinking of Amazon as a site to purchase books of all types and DVDs and C.D.s. I didn't really consider much else. Last year, in fact, I purchased many items of this kind from the site especially items for family Christmas presents. However, probably because with my offspring growing up and flying the nest, I now get much more access to 'my' P.C. therefore more opportunity to browse the web. I research most things before buying, whether they are to be online buys or from high street shops. Searching Google for certain items will often lead to Amazon.

And recently I read a review where a member had purchased bedding from this site. I wouldn't previously have considered shopping on this site for that type of product but after reading her review, I now would definitely have a look. I also know that on line shopping provides the consumer with more rights than shopping on the high street. This is reassuring, but I would always choose my sites carefully. I go for well known names such as Amazon.

I admit to preferring to do the bulk of my shopping in person, so that I can actually see prospective purchases in 'real life' but, for items such as dvds, cds and books, I think this is great way to shop. New books cans sometimes work out a little more expensive on Amazon than in places where I often buy, but you can shop around on-line and know whether you are paying over the odds first. It is also highly convenient to shop in this way, and it makes Christmas shopping much easier. I find dvds are usually reasonably priced on Amazon.

And to make Amazon even more appealing, I had an Amazon voucher from a review site. Well, I did until today when I redeemed it. I used it to go towards my shopping and, honestly, it couldn't have been easier to do.

I had previously set up an Amazon account. This takes no more than five minutes. Once an account is set up purchasing is quick and easy, as address and card details are securely held. Now if I want to purchase anything I simple log in, using a password, and then start to order. The site is secure and easy to navigate.

Today, I pre- ordered a dvd which is due to be released on Monday 29th November, and a further dvd on fishing, which is intended as birthday gift for my daughter's boyfriend. With the latter item a choice appeared on the screen to buy from different sellers (you can browse their site) and I also could have chosen a used item. I chose to buy the dvd as new and through Amazon. I clicked for the first item to be added to my shopping trolley and followed this with the second item I then reviewed my purchases to check all was in order. It is easy to delete or add items. I chose super saver delivery. This is available on many items available on this site. This gives me free delivery but may take a few days. I have been quoted delivery between the 1st December to 3rd December. I could have paid for faster delivery or next day delivery if I were in hurry for the goods. I have done this in the past, for instance when my daughter needed a book of sheet music quickly.

I wasn't sure how things would work regarding the voucher but this had previously been added to my account, giving me a credit of £15.53. My order came to £25.70. I was relieved that everything was nice and clear, with my account amount shown. The question came up, did I want to use my voucher/promotional code? This was pre-ticked but could the tick could have been removed. I wanted to use the voucher to go towards my purchase so continued. The screen showed the amount spent and the total remaining amount which I would have to pay, after the voucher had been used. Everything was clear and correct. I clicked to submit the order.An email was received immediately, thanking me for my order, and to say when the order should arrive (estimated) and with details as to how I could track this order.

In the past I have used the tracking system finding it both easy and useful. It enables one to have an idea when to listen for the doorbell with the parcel. You will receive an email to say when the order has been dispatched.Most items come through royal mail, depending on size, I imagine.

I have ordered many things through Amazon. Delivery has always been quick and, often even quicker than estimated. I have (touch wood!) never had to check on a late arrival or on something that hasn't arrived. I have always found Amazon to be reliable and I hope they continue to prove me right.

I believe in the future I will be buying even more through Amazon, especially if I manage to earn a few more vouchers!

Graygirl 16.09.2013 08:56

I spent my first ever Dooyoo Amazon voucher on a laptop tray - it was so exciting! Excellent review. x

D_i_a_n_e 05.03.2011 19:35