Ambrosia Creamed Rice

Ambrosia Creamed Rice

Review of "Ambrosia Creamed Rice"

published 19/07/2002 | sandrabarber
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Quick, Cheap, Healthy
Cons Vile, Strange Colour, Tastes Old
Smell
Product Quality

"Food of the Gods my Arse"

Having read several ops praising this product to the hilt, I felt I just had to stick my oar in and disagree.

My mother never liked cooking, and my dad’s repertoire consisted only of bacon and baked beans, and as such, Ambrosia tinned rice pudding played a significant part in my (nutritionally challenged) upbringing. I would get home from school, ask what was for tea, and often get the response, ‘Tinned rice pudding, tinned rice pudding with jam, tinned rice pudding with syrup, tinned rice pudding with dried sultanas’.

It is not these memories of tastebud deprivation which drive me to dislike Ambrosia tinned rice pudding, though, it is the product itself. I think it’s crap.

Ambrosia creamed rice comes in a 425g tin with a blue label with a picture of some sunny-looking countryside on it. It contains, apparently, a glass and a half of full cream Devon milk. It also contains whey, rice (9%) and sugar. No artificial colourings or flavourings are used.

Nothing offensive about those ingredients, so where do they go wrong?

First, the colour. The pudding has a yellowy-browny tinge to it, making it a sort of general beige. Neither rice nor milk nor sugar nor whey are beige. Therefore, I find this suspicious.

Second, the taste. Granted, the pudding has a lovely thick consistency and creamy texture. But it tastes tinned. It tastes like it was made a long, long time ago and has been left to stand and get musty. (And as tinned foods have such a lengthy shelf life it probably was made a long long time ago)

On the plus side, Ambrosia creamed rice is a low-fat food, and they also do a very low fat version (though the difference in actual calories is negligible) and it is suitable for vegetarians. It’s high in calcium, which we all know is essential for healthy teeth and bones, and the rice is high in carbohydrates which give us energy. It’s also cheap, at around 60p to 70p per tin.

But downside again, all the plusses can be got by making your own rice pudding which:

1. Tastes ten times nicer
2. Can be made to your own exact taste regarding sweetness, creaminess etc.
3. Is fresh
4. Is not beige
5. Has a totally delicious skin which tinned rice does not

The only plus for the tinned variety overall is that it takes just a couple of minutes to heat up in pan or microwave, whereas home-made takes a couple of hours to cook. However, it is well, well worth it and requires very little effort apart from popping it in the oven and waiting.

Oh yes, I also object to the name. Ambrosia Creamed Rice. ambrosia was the food of the gods. With all the foods in the world at their disposal, I am sure the gods would have chosen something rather more special than this.

Not recommended.

• jammy_banana published 12/10/2004
    I have yet to try this but I will be trying it soon. Good review but it hasn't put me off
  • volpina published 28/07/2002
    I am a massive rice pudding fan but I agree with you here that this is awful stuff. The funny colour tinge worries me too. It is also overly sweet and mushy. Good op. Caroline
  • Calypte published 22/07/2002
    Each to their own, eh? I do quite like this (although not with jam - urgh!) but then, I've never had the joy of tasting a home made version.