American Crew Fiber

American Crew Fiber

Review of "American Crew Fiber"

published 03/03/2002 | psrose78
Member since : 07/03/2001
Pro styles hair well, less sticky than wax
Cons bit pricey, smells weird
Staying power
How does your hair feel after use?

"hold me tight"

My hairdresser first got me started on Fiber (note the American spelling) after a bit of persuasion - I mean, the 100 gram tub costs a tenner! But to shut him up I decided to give it a try.

For quite a while I was happy using Tigi Bed Head, a blue, gooey, semi fibrous creme that did a pretty good job. But when I started using the American Crew Fiber I was impressed. It is called a 'Pliable Molding Creme' and is a thick, fibrous, semi solid creme. It isn't too eager to rub into the hair but once it does, you can style away with ease. My hair gets big and 80's when it gets longer but the Fiber manages to calm it down. Unlike wax which is also a good styling product, the creme does wash off your hands - a big plus point if (like me) you are running late and need to hurry.

The Bed Head was a popular choice because it styled pretty well, it smelt nice, and its a cool colour. The Fiber is light yellow which stands out a mile if you don't rub it in properly and its happened to me a couple of times where I've been mocked walking down the street. It doesn't smell half as nice as the Bed Head, which smells like coconut, instead the Fiber has an element of coconut and caramel but smells more like slightly perfumed chemicals or alcohol.

American Crew do a range of hair products, and I also use the shampoo and the conditioner (probably shouldn't have admitted to the last one, but it was bought for me as a present - honest) and they do the job but not wildly better than any other shampoos or conditioners do.

As to whether the Fiber is better than any of the other hairstyling products on the market it is definitely a question of personal preference. I like it and will probably keep using it for the time being, but the price and possibly the smell will put some others off. A final point is that I think its only available from selected hairdressers and some online stores so finding it might be a bit of a pain.

• MRSCANADA published 08/04/2002
    We don't get this in Canada..LL
  • Glorificus1 published 07/04/2002
    i havent heard of this one before.
  • Elainebaba published 10/03/2002
    a very good review Avril

offers "American Crew Fiber"