American Crew Fiber

Review of "American Crew Fiber"

published 06/07/2014 | leetscram
Member since : 12/03/2011
Thanks for all the rates. Trying to keep up with everything!
Pro Hold, fragrance, dry look, easy to wash out
Cons slightly too expensive
Staying power
How does your hair feel after use?

"Join the crew! - American Crew Fiber"

Summary

When it comes to clothes, household items or food, I have always been quite happy to go with the cheapest product as they all seem to be just about the same. However, some might call me a little bit of a 'hair snob.' For some reason, I'm quite happy to pay £5 for a pair of shoes but almost double that to take care of my hair!

I used American Crew Fiber in the early 2000's but when I graduated University and didn't have a job, this was one of the things, at about £12 per tub that I had to cut back on.

Now, in 2014, I've started using it again and despite the high price, it has so many features that still make it great value.

American Crew Fiber

American Crew Fiber is not thick or 'gloopy' like the majority of off the shelf products you buy in the supermarket. For quite a few years I've stuck to VO5 Matt Clay which is probably the best value alternative at about £3 and for that reason much of my review will compare the two products.

American Crew Fiber is a thin but incredibly strong hair styling product. It only takes the smallest amount between your fingers to achieve an amazing hold. The VO5 product on the other hand tends to be quite thick and requires a lot more to achieve the same amount of hold and generally some sort of hairspray as well. That's one point for American Crew.

The fiber also has a very nice fragrance, a bit like the smell you get after just leaving the hairdressers. Similar products tend to have a very generic smell which only lasts for a few hours. The VO5 clay for example doesn't really smell of anything. The smell of American Crew Fiber alone could probably convert most men and my partner loves it.

With a fiber, it is almost unnoticeable that you have used anything in your hair, creating a very dry and natural look. If is also very easy to mould during the day if you fancy changing your look. Clays, gels and waxes all create a may wetter and oily look.

The fiber is also very easy to wash out, leaving virtually no residue. I've not experienced any other product like this. The VO5 matt clay often requires two washes to completely remove it from your hair.

I really like the packaging of the American Crew Fiber as well. The colouring gives it a high-end feel although I'm not too sure why and the rounded plastic packaging gives an aura of quality which you don't get from most supermarket products.

At around £12 per tub, the American Crew Fiber is at the top end of the market for men's hairstyling. However, I would say it still offers excellent value for money.

The VO5 clay that I was using previously for £3 per tub would last perhaps 2 months at a time when using for 5 days per week (I tend to get lazy on a Sunday!). The American Crew Fiber last me for a good 4 or 5 months on average, so a minimum of 2 VO5 clays to 1 American Fiber.

The hold of the product is also so much better that I no longer need to use any hairspray which is another expense off the list. I have never needed to re-apply the product during the day at any time.

With all that together, it doesn't work out a huge amount more expensive than your supermarket products.

Where to buy

American Crew Fiber is available in some hairdressers but I tend to buy from Amazon for ease of not having to go out to purchase. As far as I'm aware, you can't buy this in High Street stores.

It is around £12 for an 85g tub but it is also available in a 50g tub if you wanted to try it.

Recommendation

The supermarket products like VO5 Matt Clay are more than sufficient for day-to-day use but the American Crew Fiber goes to the next level. Although it seems expensive, when you consider how longs it lasts for, the hold and fragrance, the product stands well above the rest.

I'd recommend the product to those wanting a nice, clean, dry look as if you have just left the hairdresser.

I'd rate the product at 4 out of 5 purely because although good value, I think is is just slightly too expensive for a hair product by a couple of pounds.

• catsholiday published 06/07/2014
    Well reviewed!
  • Mistee-Dreamz published 06/07/2014
    Well reviewed
  • daylehall published 06/07/2014
    VH x

offers "American Crew Fiber"