American Express

American Express

Review of "American Express"

published 09/09/2001 | fbowles
Member since : 04/09/2000
Satisfactory
Pro Detailed statements, "prestige"
Cons Not accepted as widely as Visa / Mastercard
not rated
Competitiveness of APR
Product package
Quality of Customer Service
Reward Scheme
Additional Charges

"What's the point..."

Having a corporate Amex card, I obtained a "companion" gold card for personal use when the company stopped allowing us to use it privately. I signed up for the membership rewards programme as I do a fair amount of business travel and so a few thousand pounds passes through the card each year. The personal spend on the Gold Card contributes to the same account.

This is all right. The points can be used for flights on big airlines, or for meals in restaurants etc but it does cost £23.50 a year to be a member. I am sure there are other schemes with other cards which are more worthwhile.

If I wasn't tied to Amex through work I wouldn't look at it twice. It is not anything like as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard, it carries higher surcharges on occasion (EasyJet charge customers £5 to use it compared with £3 for Visa and the customer service is iffy. There have been a number of cases at work where fraudulent purchases have appeared on corporate cards -- far higher incidences than on other cards.

The statements carry more detail about the purchases than other cards, and the statements are accessible on the web. But other than that I'd stick with Visa.

• LostWitness published 09/09/2001
    All very valid points. I also use a Corporate AMEX but find that the card is still not accepted anywhere near as much as I would like. Cheers, Phil :O)
  • vinodgm published 09/09/2001
    The rating systems been down for ages. Give me a buzz in my Guestbook when its up and running and I'll come back and rate. - Vinod
  • wiggglypufff published 09/09/2001
    I won't say welcome to Ciao, as you've been a member longer than me, but good first op, well done! Sorry I can't rate at the moment (due to site problems) but feel free to contact me when the rating system is back up and I'll be happy to rate then. Thanks, Karen

Product Information : American Express