Review of "American Express"

published 04/09/2003 | daniels-mike
Member since : 04/09/2003
Pro Exclusive. Only £265 per year.
Cons None
Competitiveness of APR
Product package
Quality of Customer Service
Reward Scheme
Additional Charges

"World Signia from MasterCard"

I thought this a good opportunity to explain a little about this relatively unknown card for those who are interested. I was fortunate enough to be offered the World Signia by my bank, after having opened various accounts a couple of years earlier, and now feel, possessing one myself and various other so called ‘prestige’ cards, able to clarify the World Signia’s standinding in ‘the plastic pecking order’.

To give an initial impression of the clientele fortunate enough to be offered this, the said card is offered in England only by one bank, Coutts & Co. To open an account one must posses liquid assets of at least £500,000 anyway, so Coutts customers are not many in number. Furthermore, I can confirm that, although the card is offered at the discretion of ones private banker, the norm and standard customer to be offered the World Signia is one with assets in excess of £40,000,000.

This said, there exists in the UK less than 100 persons in posesion of the World Signia Card.

Possessing various other cards, it must be said that this card really IS the ultimate. Many consider American Express’s Centurion Card to be unbeatable in terms of exclusivity, prestige and benefits. I was offered the Centurion about 5 years ago, and at the time found it to be quite amazing. However, since having had the World Signia it has become second best.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the World Signia is a far better card, for example Amex Centurion may arrange a gift to be purchased for a loved one when you are unable to find the time to do it yourself. When one approaches World Signia Assistance with the same, this too is offered. I was, however, asked whether another time would be more convenient if I was to buy the gift myself, but I explained that unless the store concerned was open in the middle of the night it would be impossible. Ten minutes later I received a call from World Signia explaining that I need only choose the day and the time and they would do the rest. I chose a Thursday evening at 10.pm. I arrived in a cab to be met by 3 persons representing World Signia/Coutts, a fully open Store and a member of staff to accompany me around the store, and then to process the transaction. All for free!

It is a well known fact that various celebrities posses the Centurion Card, and the same is true of World Signia, with holders including Lord Sainsbury (Sainsbury’s Supermarkets, personal assets of £1400,000,000) and apparently Her Majesty the Queen!

In closing, this card really is only for the seriousley wealthy, those with millions and millions. Should any reader who works in retail come across one, you will know that the card holder is a customer worthy of the highest levels of respect!

• Dive_Master published 29/12/2004
    What on earth does this piece of fictionhave to do with American Express!
  • minds published 23/11/2004
    One word: Jerk! You say: Should any reader who works in retail come across one, you will know that the card holder is a customer worthy of the highest levels of respect! Why does a holder of this card deserve to be treated with a higher degree of respect than any other customer? In your opinion, are rich people more worth as human beings than those who aint got as much?
  • redpen published 04/09/2003
    I will make no apology for the frankness of my comment, I have therefore rated this opinion unhelpful, as it is wholly inaccurate, a detailed list of the inaccuracies follows below: 1. The fee for the card which I happen to posses, is actually £270 per annum although minor in itself, you have made a large number of false claims about the card. 2. Anyone can apply for a Coutts account, although there is a quarterly fee for accounts with a balance of below three thousand pounds. You are referring to Coutt’s private client service which is a completely separate division, although it is true that you need to have in excess of half a million in liquid assets. (They manage my children’s trust funds among other things) 3. I can assure you, that you don’t need forty million in assets to hold a World Signia card, and although I am “financially comfortable” I do not possess that kind of liquidity. For instance, AIB bank is to launch this card to be made available to customers that earn €250,000 per year. 4. There are also far more than 100 cardholders in this country, as I personally know at least 50 friends, colleagues and business associates that are also cardholders Finally, the Queen does not own a World Signia card it is a well publicised fact that her Majesty does not carry any form of payment (including cash) besides why would her Majesty need too! Harvey

offers "American Express"