American Horror Story Season 1 (DVD)

American Horror Story Season 1 (DVD)

Review of "American Horror Story Season 1 (DVD)"

published 17/09/2013 | dbuk2000
Member since : 25/07/2008
Not sure why people comment just to say 'not for me' or 'will give this a miss'. Hardly contributing to the review or helping out future readers looking to purchase the item.
Pro Well directed
Cons Well directed
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Would you move to a haunted house?"

When I heard this was made by the maker of Glee I wasn't too optimistic. By the way I haven't ever watched Glee but definitely does not seem like my type of show. However they have really found a winner to appeal to a different audience with American Horror Story.

So as you can tell by the name of the show it is horror themed. Just to clarify firstly that I wouldn't really call this horror. It definitely is not suitable for kids however and doesn't contain many disturbing scenes and stories. At the same time though they don't want to make it too scary that they don't bring the viewers in and they are very wary about that.

In terms of the story this takes place in a haunted house (yes very cliché) however it is not as you would think. Anyone that dies in the vicinity of the house instantly becomes a ghost which is where the appeal of this show is. You get to see all the previous characters that once lived there and they mix this in with flashbacks to show how they ended up a ghost to haunt the house for all eternity. Some of the ghosts are good, others not so much but they are pretty much all interesting which is the most important thing.

To say that this show is well directed would be an understatement. The acting and characters are top notch, and they really go to work with the camera angles and bringing in the tense music at the right times so I really have no criticisms here. In terms of the current family living in the house it is a pretty normal family, although they did move there due to the husband having cheated on the family so they want a fresh start. Of course as is life things always come back to bite you when you least suspect it.

There are some excellent appearances here, however I had not recognised many of the actors previously apart from the ever excellent Zachary Quinto but I am sure to look out for their future work in the future seasons and other shows. In terms of scariness like I mentioned before personally I don't find this scary. Disturbing at times yes, but scary no. This is really my only criticism of the show and I am glad in the second season they have really upped the ante with the amount of weirdo's and the type of insane things they get up to. Overall I will give this four stars and do recommend it to anyone looking for a new show.

• SweetTooth93 published 21/09/2013
    I was obsessed with this!
  • supersonic75 published 18/09/2013
    I wondered if this was any good.

offers "American Horror Story Season 1 (DVD)"