Andrex Toilet Tissues

Andrex Toilet Tissues

Toilet Tissue

Review of "Andrex Toilet Tissues"

published 31/01/2003 | offy
Member since : 27/07/2000
Pro Extremely soft and absorbent, tears well
Cons More expensive than other toilet rolls, only available in white

"Bog off"

This opinion is about Andrex Aloe Vera toilet tissue.

Before writing this opinion I decided to think long and hard about what is important about a toilet roll to me... and what better place to do it than on the toilet! This is what I came up with, and probably in this order:

•• The sandpaper test ••
Let’s face it, what is more important about a toilet roll than how it treats your delicate parts (or chocolate starfish as I read in on of the funniest reviews I have seen on Ciao)? Did anyone else have to suffer that hard, crinkly toilet roll when they were young at school – dreadful stuff! Andrex with Aloe Vera passes this test with flying colours. You see it has ‘soft ripples that are enriched with extracts of aloe vera and vitamin E’. Aloe vera has healing properties, so you can imagine what it will do to your bottie. These trade marked ripples sort of pucker the paper up into lines that remind me of little waves. On one side (the side you should wipe with) the ripples rise out of the paper and on the other they dip into the paper, making the first side lovely and soft. No matter how strong the curry you have had the night before, I’m sure this toilet paper wouldn’t add to your discomfort! They really should make this into paper tissues - I’m sure it would be popular. The sheets do not have any fragrance which I might have expected, but it would be nice to add one if they ever produce tissues. I’m not sure what the vitamin E does, but this really is the softest toilet paper I have ever tried, even beating Charmin which I used before.

•• The absorbency test ••
Back to that hard crinkly stuff at school, it acted more like a method of pouring wee all over your hand due to lack of absorbency, as it would run straight off the paper into your hand – lovely! (Or maybe it was just me.) This stuff is brilliant as it is ultra absorbent too, although I must say that most top branded toilet paper also passes this test nowadays.

•• The tear test ••
I have a few strange problems, but the one I would like to mention here is my obsession with toilet paper that tears cleanly on the perforations. For some reason I become obsessed with anger if it rips elsewhere, and Andrex Aloe Vera toilet paper is simply the best for this. It never tears outside the perforations, and I really notice the difference when at work or elsewhere when I get half sheets.

•• The value test ••
I compared Andrex Aloe Vera with normal Andrex and Charmin, and Aloe Vera works out more expensive. It is £1.99 for 4 rolls compared to £1.64 for both Andrex and Charmin, or £4.29 for 9 rolls compared to £3.64 for both Andrex and Charmin (Tesco prices). Each roll had on average 342 sheets, whereas normal Andrex has 279 and Charmin only 192. This toilet paper is single ply compared to the others which are double ply, but you really wouldn’t know it as it is quite thick due to the ripples.

6/10

•• The colour test ••
Is it something about being female that makes most women like to buy toilet paper that matches their bathroom? Unless your bathroom is white, you will be disappointed with this one, as I have only ever seen it in white. Perhaps this is something that should be considered for the future. At least they have chosen the least awkward colour if they only have one.

2/10

•• Boring stuff ••
Andrex Aloe Vera can be picked out from the other toilet rolls by its distinctive green packaging with the Andrex puppy panting cheekily at you and the words Aloe Vera quite prominently displayed. You can collect the Andrex puppy tokens on these packs too if you fancy trying it but are already collecting for a toy – for more details visit www.andrexpuppy.co.uk. It is made by Kimberley-Clark and they also sell Andrex moist toilet tissues with Aloe Vera.

•• Conclusion ••
Due to its extreme softness, absorbency and tearing qualities, I now only ever buy this loo roll now. I’d like some more colours to be introduced so it can match my bathroom, but it is not the end of the world. I know it is more expensive, but its qualities make it worth it to me. Happy wiping!

• debbie_marway published 09/04/2004
    I never knew there was so much to write about loo rolls. A good op, very informative. I was actually paid once to test toilet rolls in my house. What a result that was. Not many give you toilet rolls and pay you to wipe your bum. Andrex are running a good promo at the moment for various thank you gifts. Worth saving the coupons for.
  • KarenUK published 10/02/2003
    Definitely the best, but we can't afford it often :-(
  • magicloudz published 06/02/2003
    If it was better priced, I know this would have got the five stars:) -Jon