Review of "Angry Birds (iPhone)"

published 30/11/2011 | angelboouk123
Member since : 01/06/2010
Busy working Mum to two boys and married to the love of my life <3
Pro graphics, sound effects, logic needed, free, fun, not too gory
Cons not for me, takes a lot of patience!
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"Be Prepared To Be Squashed You Smirking Pig!"

Angry Birds can be downloaded free from the Itunes store and is available for the iPhone, iPod and iPad. A fuller version can be purchased with more levels. Angry Birds is 10.1MB in size and produced by Clickgamer Technologies Limited.

Angry Birds

The idea of this app is to catapult various birds into the air and ambush some green pigs. The pigs are hiding in various obstactles and you need to aim the birds at the obstactles in an attempt to gain access to the pigs. There are 12 levels on this version of the game and each varies in complexity. The pigs are very smart and have hidden themselves in brick towers and castles which require some amount of force to knock down.

There are a few different types of birds in this game and some have different purposes. One of the birds can split into 3 individual birds to cause more distruction. Another can be get a flying boost giving more speed and strength to destroy structures. All the pigs must be ambushed before you can move onto the next level. A score is kept and if you repeat the level, you can attempt to beat your score. Points are gained by knocking planks from structures, ambushing the pigs or if you have any unused birds left at the end of the level.

My Thoughts

I downloaded the free version to see if I would like Angry Birds. There has been a lot of hype about this game but personally I am not taken enough to get the full version!

The graphics are really good..crystal clear and bright. The app itself is easy to navigate on my iPhone 3 and the touch screen communicates with the game well. This game does require a good level of concentration and logic. The sounds are quite funny with disgruntled birds and snorting pigs. It is cartoon like and I have no issues with my son watching me playing this as he finds it rather amusing!

It took me quite a while to complete his game despite only having 12 levels. I like the different qualities that the birds have as it does make the game more interesting than simply throwing a single bird through the air. The variation of difficulty between the levels is evident and sometimes it is pot luck for me to kill all the pigs.

The birds are easy to aim and you can decide how high or low you want to aim them. It takes a while (well for me anyway) to get the aim just right. Some of the constructions are really difficult to knock down and it can be really frustrating! The wooden planks aren't too bad but the various blocks (ice or concrete..I'm not sure which) are a nightmare and need extra force to knock down,

There is usually 3 pigs to ambush but sometimes more depending on the level. They vary in size and can take direct hits aswell as being squashed by falling bricks! They simply burst rather than splatter and the birds once they have fufilled their flight, burst into a feather puddle before the screen allows you to jump back to the catapult and try again.

Activitating the birds special powers is easy and can be done by clicking the screen mid flight. It took me a while to identify which bird did what but once I got the hang of it, it was easy to remember. I managed to get through the first few levels quickly as the level of difficulty was minimal and I could ambush the pigs with ease and move along. As the constructions got more complex, I found myself getting frustrated rather than addicted but still, I was determined to complete the game.

I was pleased when one bird caused a lot of distruction to a construction then became resentful to the pigs when the final bird simply couldn't destroy enough planks or blocks to knock out the final pig. Often the pigs would slip underneath a fallen plank and angle themselves which made it near on impossible to get rid of them. The pigs had a gleeful smirk on their faces when they managed to outnumber the birds which I found rather amusing!
Conclusion

I can see why many get addicted to this sort of game. Personally I didn't think much of it and got bored of it very easily. I suppose I am more into using logic to solve puzzles rather than to line up crazy-ass birds with pig ambushing on their minds! Not for me but recommended as it is fun if you can focus on it.

Thanks for reading x

• jjcross published 01/12/2011
    I love the title! I like- you find the pigs sneer rather amusing too when they don't get killed at the end of the level! Great review!
  • daisyleex published 30/11/2011
    I love this game x
  • catsholiday published 30/11/2011
    I haven't been tempted even with the free version!