Angus, Thongs and full frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison

Angus, Thongs and full frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison

Fiction - Children's - ISBN: 0007218672 - ISBN13: 9780007218677

Review of "Angus, Thongs and full frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison"

published 03/08/2008 | rosieemma91
Member since : 28/07/2008
Pro Funny, well written and as promised on the cover - you will laugh your knickers off!
Cons Not long enough.
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability

"Funny, mad and weird - Georgia has landed!!"

Orange, titled with the caption "You'll laugh your knickers off!" at the bottom.

This is the first in the hilarious series by Louise Rennison.

When I first picked up the book, I have to admit the cover was the thing I was most transfixed with. The picture above must be a newer cover, because usually they have cartoon drawings on them and are in eye watering shades that attract attention. I'll post a picture of the better known, more common cover with this review.

This particular book in the series has a flourescent orange cover, with the title in pink and cartoon style pictures ofahandbag, heart and a kiss on the front, and a cat on the back alon with the blurb.

I thought as soon as I saw the book "This is going to be fun." And guess what. It was!

I tells the story of loveable teen Georgia Nicolson, who is convinced the world is conspiring against her. Rennison's writing style is hilarious, and I really think it was a good move to write this book in diary form. It allows her to do things like this....

10:30 p.m
Heard Mutti and Vati arguing. Oh perfect, now they'll split up and they'll both want custody of me.

10:40 p.m
If I go with Mum I will have acess to make-up, clothes, and so on, and I can usually persuade her to let me stay out later. She laughs at my jokes and goes out a lot. On the other hand there is Vati.

10:42 p.m
Ah well, bye bye, Vati...

The book follows this comic pattern, and the storyline is mainly based around her group of friends called the Ace Gang and their search for boys and to complete different stages of the snogging scale.

The snogging scale is a particularly clever invention of Rennison's, which is basically a sort of extended version of the bases thing (first base holding hands, second base kiss etc). The snogging scale is from on to ten and is explained fully in the book, but is ingenious as Georgia and her friends can say "We did number four" on the phone and their parents don't know what they mean.

Georgia is mostly trying to get together with lead singer of the Stiff Dylans band, Robbie during the book. Georgia is fourteen and Robbie is seventeen which is one obstacle. The other is that Robbie already has the perfect girlfriend - nicknamed Wet Lindsay by the gang, she is a thong wearing girl with a large forehead and stick insect legs who is determined to keep Robbie at all costs.

Meanwhile, Georgia's best friend Jas is trying to get together with Robbie's younger brother Tom, which, although the whole book revolves around Georgia and is told from her point of view, is a great subplot.

All this coupled with their hatred of their all girls school and their avoidance of Wet Lindsay (who is prefect) Hawkeye (one of their sharp eyed, girl hating teachers) Slim (their large bodied headteacher who wobbled from head to foot if angry) Herr Kamyer (their crazy German teacher with a limited concept of English and none of young girls) and Elvis (the bad tempered janitor). Rennison makes these characters equally hilarious, and yet all of them are different, which makes the book even better.

This is a crazy, upbeat book which I enjoyed from start to finish. I would definately recommend it.

• reddragonflame87 published 03/08/2008
    Sounds funny, not sure I'd enjoy it though -FT
  • manlybeach published 03/08/2008
    Sounds good! xx
  • jeaniecz published 03/08/2008
    great review. I think this is one of those books you either love or hate and I'm not yet sure which would I feel, but I'm willing to find out.